Chapter five

"What are you watching?" I inquire as I sit on the edge of Joey's bed

She's been feeling sick for a few days now. A cold, something like that. She turns her computer in my direction, showing me the screen expecting me to just know what it is, but to my surprise, I do.

"Gilmore girls, huh? Are you team Jess or Logan? Don't be on team Dean, I am begging you."

"You've watched Gilmore girls?" she pops the question so fast and so excitedly that it takes me a second to realize how fangirling I sounded.

"Don't get any wrong idea, princess, I have a sister."

"Yeah, right. You can tell me that you started watching it with her, but I will not believe you if you tell me that you didn't watched it on your own afterwards."

There's no way I'm winning this argument, so I confess. I mean, it's a good show, but most of all, it's pretty stupid that it becomes funny to watch.

"What episode are you on?" I ask her, sliding under the sheets next to her.

"First season finale, but I've already watched it all. Three times. It's my comfort show. And to answer your question, I'm definitely on Jess' team, except for that one episode at the party when he's very insistent on Rory."

"So, you like the bad boys, huh?" I wiggle my eyebrows, totally implying that she might like me.

"Maybe."

We watch about fifteen minutes of the show, when I feel her snuggling closer to me and then, her head is resting on my shoulder and though I am not as comfortable as she appears to be, I don't move, except when I wrap my arm around her shoulder to bring her even closer.

"Will I ever meet your sister?" she demands when the episode is over.

"Would you like to?"

She nods.

"I have to warn you before she's crazy and annoying."

"That's just the big brother talk, I'll make my own opinion on the subject," she laughs, her laugh quickly turning into a yawn.

I turn the laptop off, putting it on the nightstand next to her bed. Joey slides down in the bed, lying on her side, facing me. I'm about to get up, when she grabs me by my hoodie's pocket, asking me to stay, at least, until she falls asleep. She squirms to get closer and rests her head on my chest, her hand on my stomach.

***

When my eyes open, I find myself cuddling with the girl of my dreams. My gaze quickly flickers to Kyle's side of the room, making sure he isn't here, though I know he is spending the weekend at his parents' house. My fingers place a strand of hair behind Joey's ear and my lips land on her forehead, lingering a little while, until she moves and opens her eyes slowly. She rubs them with the back of her hands, stretching the best she can without pulling away from me, which I expected her to do.