Chapter twenty-two

My feet are hurting

My feet are hurting. I'm not made for standing in the same spot for an hour, barely moving. 

But god, I wouldn't trade this moment for anything. Joey in my arms, my heart threatening to burst out of my chest. If you would've tell me months ago that I would be here tonight, at homecoming night, dancing with the most beautiful girl in the world, I wouldn't have believed it. But as she stands in front of me, her thumbs rubbing my hairline, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I don't ever want to let go. 

She's stuck with me forever.

We stay on the dance floor for one more song before heading back to our table, accompanied by Kayla and Cole who also gave up. We chill a little longer talking about graduation night and what our plans for next year are, which makes me realize we probably won't see each other much anymore. Everybody will be leaving, going to universities all across the country. 

Kayla will be in Berkley, Cole in Stanford, as for Kyle, he's going to the university of Toronto. At least, I'll have Joey, we're both staying in Boston. She'll go to Boston university, and I'll be in Boston college, thirteen minutes away from each other, an apartment right in the middle.

"You okay, Xander?" Kyle asks me.

"Yeah, just thinking about next year."

Cole starts laughing out of nowhere. "Is Xander Wells getting nostalgic?" he mocks me.

"Shut up."

"We're going to miss you too," Kyle assures me.

I'm not worried about that. We've spent so much time together since we came to school here that I know we're going to be texting and calling each other all the time. I'm just worried about not having them around if I ever need their help. They're my best friends, I haven't known life without them for years.

"Ready to go?" Joey interrogates me when she comes back from the bathroom with Kayla.

"Ready when you are," I tell her, and she bends down, whispering in my ear.

"Oh, I'm so ready," she says in a naughty voice, making me get up fast.

"We'll get going, we'll see you tomorrow," I announce, wrapping my arm around Joey's waist and guiding her towards the exit.

"Yeah, we're leaving too," Kayla explains.

Seems like everyone is leaving now. We all head to the parking lot where, barely outside, Kayla stumbles and falls to the ground. We can't help but laugh, even Cole laughs before going to help her.

"Trip free, huh?" Joey speaks, saying what each of us as on our mind.

"Whatever," Kayla says, while getting up with Cole's help.

***

Her dress looks amazing on her, but on our bedroom floor, it just hits different.