CHAPTER 17

YOU SHOULD TAKE HIM

Ellie was terrible with dates

Once, she had forgotten Howard's birthday when she was still at the university and remembered because some girls were ranting about how handsome Howard Stark was, and that no 23-year-old they knew looked as good as him.

Ellie wanted to retort and say that he actually was 22 when she noticed the day on her agenda. August 15.

She had cursed and ran towards her house and on her way bought a nice tie and gave it to Howard.

He had liked the tie.

Now she was not sure why she hadn't forgotten James' birthday. She had even bought a cake, because what else could she give him?

She was the worst at gifts, but she thought cake could do the trick.

She walked towards the rooftop and found him there. She sat next to him and gave him the cake.

He smiled so much Ellie's heart did a little flip. Since when did she like it so much when people smiled?

It was just a smile, for fucks sake. Just a facial expression.

"I like chocolate cake" he said, "thank you, Laney"

"Oh, no worries" she waved her hand, "and that is a really good cake, so hope you enjoy it"

"I will" he winked and she chuckled.

James looked at her for a moment, taking in her eyes and her nose and her lips.

She blushed and averted her gaze. He coughed a bit.

"Happy birthday James" she said after a moment, her hand brushed his for a second. It was as if she wanted to hold his hand but couldn't because he was too far away.

Even if their hands were inches apart, it felt too far away.

✧✦✧

The weeks passed and Ellie found herself under piles of documents and blueprints. She had so much work, considering half the people she used to worked with had been sent to the frontlines. They always needed engineers there, especially the ones who knew how to deal with planes.

Ellie knew that, and if the time came where she had to go to another country near where the actual fighting was happening... Well, she was not going to refuse. Not when she knew the soldiers and people there would need help from someone with her knowledge. After all, she had chosen this job, and in a way, this job had chosen her as well.

Alex was seated in front of her, a grin on his face.

"What is it?"

"Guess"

"I hate guessing"

"I did it"

"You did what?"

"Come on Ellie just, leave that for a second" he said, taking the paper she had in her hands.

"Hey, I was writing there"

"Whatever, this is important" he smiled again and Ellie scanned his face.

"You did it?" she gasped.

"I did it"

"What did she say?"

"Yes"

"Yes?"

"YES!"

"Shhh" someone on the other end of the room said.

"You shut up, this man's getting married!" said Ellie, standing up and walking towards Alex, enveloping him on a hug, "congratulations"

"You are! That's great man!" said others around them and soon, Ellie found herself hearing love stories from her co-workers, all of them cheering for Alex and his future wife.

"When?" asked Ellie that night, everyone was gone except for her and Alex.

"A couple of months from now, maybe more" he said, taking his coat.

"When you're sure tell me and I'll mark it down on my calendar" she said, heading to the stairs.

"You should take him," Alex said.

"What?"

"The soldier. You should go with him to the wedding"

"I um, I don't know..." Ellie took a breath, her cheeks flushed a bit.

Alex looked at her once more before leaving, "he seems like a nice guy, Ellie"

"I know" she nodded, "I know"