Nine

"I genuinely want to know," Stacey said into the mic. "What is the huge fascination with avocados? They're mushy. I just don't trust anything green; you know?"

Reysha rolled her eyes and pressed the button that let her speak through the booths without interrupting the show. "Get people to interact. Ask them what they hate that other people love."

Stacey gave her a thumbs-up. "This is why Reysha is the Watson to my Sherlock. She wants to know what popular foods you dislike that other people rave about. Phone in, tweet us, or post a picture on Instagram and tag us."

It had to be her voice, the infectious way she put life into everything she said. The phone started ringing immediately. Stacey winked at her through the booth window.

Reysha hung up the phone, wrote down the caller's name and request, and then turned up her mic to hear Stacey.

"I love that song. It's one of my favourites. I saw them last year, and it was the best concert, hands down, that I've ever been to," Stacey shared. Her eyes connected with Reysha's, making Reysha's stomach do a nervous jump. The routine didn't settle her heart, because she knew what was coming. They were ready to launch the contest. They'd all been working overtime this week to get things in place. When she was busy, she was able to put it out of her head, even if what she was busy with was organizing her own version of The Dating Game.

Here we go. She tilted her chin down, then up, in slow motion. A nearly imperceptible nod, but Stacey saw it. Understood it.

"Concerts make for a great date night. We've been thinking a lot about dating here at 96.2 SUN. Many of you heard my girl Reysha's dating woes last week. On her birthday, no less. What you might not know is, after she accidentally shared on-air, and after I convinced her not to kill me and hide the body for doing that to her, thousands of you called, emailed, and tweeted. She was blown away by your support. We all were. And it's still coming in! Sometimes the best ideas come from the worst moments in your life."

Reysha rolled her eyes. She'd written out an introduction to the dating series, but as usual, Stacey was doing her own thing. She saw Chris outside the booth, their eyes locked, and her stomach did another strange tumble. Different from the last one but no less unnerving.

"We have some exciting news, and you guys are the reason—96.2 SUN is going to host its own version of The Bachelorette featuring my wonderful producer, Reysha, and you, our worthy listeners."

Reysha rubbed her palm against her jeans, up and down, applying pressure as Stacey continued to explain.

"Let's be clear, folks—we're looking for a good man. Not some fairy-tale version of Prince Charming where he's all perfect and dashing—though there's nothing wrong with dashing. Am I right, Rey?" Stacey looked her way.

Reysha arched her brows and frowned. Stacey knew the look and got back to it. "Right. As I was saying, a real-life prince for my girl is one who has a steady job, a sense of humour, isn't hard on the eyes. Someone who is nice to their family and has a cool group of friends."

She paused, looked at Reysha. "Did I miss anything?"

Reysha didn't pipe in often, but she'd been known to now and again in an organized, scripted, and planned way. "Not that I can think of, Stace. Though all contestants will need to go through the screening process."

"Right," Stacey said as she jotted something down in front of her. "We're taking your thoughts on Reysha finding her happily ever after seriously."

Reysha rolled her eyes and dramatically dropped her head down to her folded arms. Stacey laughed on-air, and when Reysha looked up again, her eyes locked on Chris, who was smiling and staring her way.