Twenty nine

After working the on-location event Sunday, Monday came too quickly in Reysha's opinion. Stacey, who'd been quiet yesterday, nursing a hangover, was back in full form and ready to go. Reysha pulled up the website on her laptop, glanced at Stacey as the music was winding down. She gave a nod, just to make sure they were on the same page.

"That was One Direction closing our thirty-minute, no-repeat set. I like their lead singer. He's got so much energy. We should go see them the next time they're in town, Rey," Stacey said into the mic.

The latter shook her head, giving her a bland look. When Stacey started talking again, Reysha's eyes wandered to the glass. She hadn't seen Chris yet today. He hadn't shown up at the event, which wasn't out of the norm, but a small piece of her had been disappointed. Which was silly, because she needed to straighten herself out before she saw him again. He scrambled her thoughts.

"Now, the moment you've all been waiting for, particularly you bachelors. As our wonderful listeners know, Reysha has been narrowing her playing field as the weeks have passed. Just a recap for those of you joining us, who can still get in on the fun: Rey went on six dates. Three men advanced to the second date round. If you've been following along, you know those three are Owen, Brad, and Jon. With only two second dates available, listeners chose their favorite and Reysha picked the other. Thank you to everyone who shared their opinion. The choices have been selected. Rey, drumroll please."

Reysha pressed a button, indulging her friend. It was almost easy to pretend they were discussing someone else's life.

"Our top two, going head-to-head for my girl's affections are ... Owen Baston and Jon Remeyer." Stacey paused, letting Reysha press a switch for a crowd clapping.

"The next stage of the competition works like this. Listeners get to read the bios online and pick their favorite of the two. Ultimately, it's Reysha who makes the choice, but those people who guessed correctly will be entered to win a very special prize. Your votes need to be in by midnight tonight. Reysha's last two dates will be this week with a final reveal next Monday. Have I mentioned how much I love you listeners? Who knew you were all a bunch of romantics? How about a love song to set the mood? Get to our website and cast your vote."

Stacey pressed a couple of buttons and removed her headset, smiling at Reysha. The music would play for another half hour. Normally, they'd head into a meeting, but Reysha wanted nothing more than to go home, curl up on the couch, and forget about dating anyone.

Stacey came through the door they shared. "Hey. Wanna grab some lunch?"

Reysha grabbed her bag, closed her laptop, shoved it in, and stood. "I'm pretty tired, actually." She didn't meet her friend's gaze.

"Any idea what's going on with Chris?"

Reysha's head snapped up. "What do you mean?"

Stacey watched her carefully, leaning against the doorjamb. She shrugged. "He and Noah came in before you got here this morning. Chris was on the phone, arguing with someone. They've been holed up in his office since. Something is going down. Jane wouldn't give me any details."

Reysha laughed. "Because Jane isn't a gossip."

Stacey sighed. "Yeah. I know. But I like her, anyway."

Walking toward the door, she waited for Stacey to move out of the way. She swallowed around her nerves—if Stacey sensed anything, she'd pounce. Reysha didn't know how to talk about the feelings ricocheting around her chest, so it was best to leave them untouched.

"We leaving?" Stacey waited a beat. "Rey?"

"Hmm?"

"Look at me."