Seventeen

Chris nearly swallowed his tongue as Reysha stared at him, wide-eyed like a frightened doe. She'd been fine—great, even—a minute ago. Now that they were going to spar, though, he watched as her nerves visibly pushed forward. Sparring with Reysha. Just the thought of it—Don't. Don't think about it. If he did, he'd be wishing he'd worn something more constricting than loose freaking athletic shorts.

He loved that she was here, trying something new. Was this her first time here or just her first kickboxing class? He didn't come often enough to know if she frequented the place.

He'd been on the elliptical when he'd seen her walk in and nearly lost his damn footing. He hadn't planned on taking kickboxing but couldn't not follow her in. Belatedly, he'd wondered if it would make her uncomfortable and had almost turned around to go, but she'd seemed to calm a little when he'd suggested she breathe. It wasn't a class he imagined her taking. You're not supposed to be imagining her at all.

Now, he was happy he did, because he sure as hell didn't want some other person, man or woman, and definitely not Rob, throwing punches at her. He was impressed with her ability to seize new opportunities even though he knew it scared her. Damn, he liked her. Too fucking much. Add admiration to how he felt and he was walking a dangerous line. As long as you veer to the friendship lane, you're fine.

"Okay, so we'll work on not reacting, not flinching. Your partner isn't making contact, but the jabs should be fast, repetitive."

Rob wandered over and grinned at Chris. "I'll model it for you with my pal here."

He took up the stance, and Chris ignored the discomfort of being on display like this, particularly in front of Reysha. It wasn't his first kickboxing class, so he was easily able to deflect and block Rob's punches. While they danced around each other, Rob talked about stance, keeping his body loose and his core tight. From the corner of his eye, Chris saw Reysha's attention fixated on them. Warmth suffused his body and, yeah, maybe added a spring to his step.

"Nice blocking," Rob said, still giving him that all-knowing smile that made Chris want to punch him for real.

Rob gave a few more instructions, and then Chris and Reysha, like the other partners in the room, turned and faced each other, adjusted their stances, and got started. At least the other partners began.

Reysha's hands hung by her side, but she wasn't tapping. Why had it surprised her so much that he'd noticed? He'd seen the look of surprise on her face.

"You want to punch or block?"

"Whichever you prefer."

She wouldn't choose. So, he did. "You punch, I'll block. Isn't this every employee's dream?"

Her low laugh distracted him, but he put his hands up to block, smiling when she moved into position, started sending slow, easy jabs his way.

"Maybe if they hate their boss," she said, her quiet smile tamed by her intense concentration.

"Loosen your shoulders."

She did.

"There you go. Increase your pace."

She did.

As she let go of the fact that he was her boss, she got more into it, her movement coming quicker, more naturally. When she connected with his hand, she stopped, eyes wide, and dropped her hands.

"I'm sorry."

"For what? If this were real, you'd want to hit the other person," Chris said.

"I wasn't actually planning on getting into a fight," she said.