Twenty

Reysha yawned on her way into the station. She couldn't keep up with her social life, which was a problem she'd never encountered. Both dates this week had been lacking in the entertainment, enjoyment, and interest categories. Her fourth candidate, Andy, had met her at the restaurant with an entourage. She hadn't noticed at first, but when he kept looking around, she realized that he'd brought a group of friends. When he asked to introduce her to them, she'd faked a headache and cut the evening short.

Last night, curled up on her couch, alternating between reading, watching cooking shows, and searching animal shelters, had been her favorite night this week. She'd texted back and forth with Stacey and Chris. Chris had wondered if she was going to kickboxing, but she'd been too tired to go. She smiled now, remembering that she'd promised to kick his ass the next time they sparred. Maybe it was all talk, but she was looking forward to the next class and had asked Stacey to join them.

Reysha stopped short when she got to the door of the conference room. Stacey was standing in front of the whiteboard where they sometimes jotted down ideas, an actual pointer in her hand.

She'd created a Final Four bracket of Reysha's dating life, going as far as calling it the Road to the Final Two.

No one had noticed her standing in the doorway, eyes wide, fingers clenched around her purse

No one had noticed her standing in the doorway, eyes wide, fingers clenched around her purse. Their conversation buzzed through the room and her head as their voices pitched with excitement. Two of the station's djs argued that Andy should be this week's choice. Kitty leaned back in her chair, tapping a pen against the table while she stared at the board.

"My money is on Owen. It doesn't sound like these two latest ones were worth her time."

Stacey used her finger to wipe a smudge outside one of the empty rectangles. "Brad sounded okay. They might not be Reysha's type, but I have a very good feeling about next week's candidates. Did you see Daniel's profile picture? Though I guess looks aren't everything since Andy the model thought he could bring all his buddies for free food."

Reysha stepped into the room, unstuck her tongue from the roof of her mouth. "You're betting on my dating life?"

Everyone swiveled in an almost comical synchronization. Elijah, who produced for Christine, who sat beside him, took a sudden interest in his notepad. Kitty bit her lip, her deer-in-the-headlights gaze moving to Stacey.

"No. Of course not. We're just organizing the ... choices," Stacey said, lowering the pointer.

Everly pointed a finger at Kitty. "She just said her money was on Owen."

Christine looked up. "He was a cutie." She rested her chin on the heel of her hand.

She started to deny it, but at this point, if she had to choose, Owen was the front-runner.

Kitty stood up, straightened her gorgeous, white linen blazer. "We signed our biggest ad yet. Ridgeview Motors just signed a six-week contract for your segment."