Fifteen

A strange kind of energy pulsed through Reysha's body. It was an I've-got-this-screw-Simon-and-the-girl-who-rode-him type of enthusiasm. Tonight's date would be a success. Every bit as much as the last one.

  Rule seven: No more holding back. 

She was a smart, fun, funny person who could handle a second first date in the same week. With that reminder, she pulled the door of Mocktails open. Despite its moniker, it did serve alcoholic beverages. She'd checked. Just inside the door, waiting to the right of the hostess station by a few other people, was her date. Corbin Brown, twenty-four years old, owned his own house-painting business and liked animals, sailing, and hosting parties. The party thing made her shudder, but Reysha reminded herself she was doing this to become more of the person she imagined herself to be. Someone who didn't feel like she was going to throw up if they had to hang out with more than three people.

He caught sight of her, his dark eyes widening and a smile taking over his angular face. As he walked toward her, she realized that he was well over six feet, with shoulders like a line backer.

"Reysha," he said, his voice softer than she'd expected from such a large man. He pulled her into a hug before she could set any boundaries.

Her surprise was muffled against his chest, and he let go of her before she could say a word. "Sorry," he said, looking down at her. "I'm just so glad to meet you."

That's nice. "Thank you," she said, somewhat stiffly. She held out her hand. "It's nice to meet you, too, Corbin."

His wide mouth turned up in a one-sided grin. He shook her hand and said nothing, but she sensed his amusement.

"We have a reservation under your name, right?" He gestured for her to go ahead of him.

The young woman at the front had her hair pulled back and a happy smile on her face. "Welcome to Mocktails. Do you have a reservation?"

"We do," Reysha said, her voice catching. "Sorry. Yes. It's under Beckett."

She spotted the security detail eyeing her from the corner of the waiting area and gave a half wave. Corbin's eyes followed her gaze even as the hostess said to follow her.

"You bring a backup date in case this one doesn't go well?" he asked.

Reysha laughed. "Not exactly."

They were brought to the second floor—which was more of a raised seating area than an actual second story. Low lights lit the way, and laughter, clinking glasses, and music set the mood as relaxed and carefree. The mood of the room. Not Reysha. She willed her heart rate to slow down as she slid into the chair Corbin held for her.

"Your waiter will be with you in one moment," the hostess said and left them.

Corbin beamed at her across the table. Reysha tried to smile back but couldn't settle facing the entire room. They were in a corner, so she could see everyone and they could see her. They aren't looking at you.

"You okay?" Corbin asked.

Reysha saw the security guy take a seat at the bar. What even was her life right now? She was on a date in a crowded place with a stranger and a bodyguard. She'd rather be home watching Never Have I Never, texting Stacey, and eating cookies. But you're not, because you turned twenty, not twelve. So, get your head in the game, Beckett.

Rule number one: Focus on the good.

"I'm fine. I just get a little nervous staring out at the room."