5. From Flesh to Ash

"I'm scared

"I'm scared." Bucky mumbled, voice thick with worry as he buried his face in y/n's neck.

"What for, baby?" Y/n murmured back, running a hand through her fiancé's hair.

"For you. And Stevie." Bucky breathed and she felt her heart drop. If Bucky was scared, there was definitely something to worry about.

"It'll be okay." She soothed, and Bucky pulled back to look at y/n.

"Promise me you won't let Steve crumble if I die." Bucky asked and y/n's eyes bugged.

"W-what?" The thought of him dying made her sick to the stomach. Literally.

"Promise me that Stevie won't crumble, that you won't let him fall off the edge if I'm gone." Bucky pleaded and y/n gave in with a heaved sigh.

"I promise." She mumbled, and Bucky's lips lifted into a hesitant smile.

"Thank you, doll." Bucky sighed.

...
The first bang had her shaking. The second had her clearing her throat, squaring her shoulders and standing up a little taller.

Shuri threw her a glance before casting her focused gaze back to Vision.

"It'll be okay." Y/n sighed, rubbing at her arm.

Wanda shifted, before sighing out her own, quiet reply, "I know."

"I hope they're okay." Y/n confessed when the fifth bang sounded, the reverberations causing the room to tremble.

"Someone should go help them, we can't let them reach the gates." Shuri said into the room, eyes still downcast to Vision as she worked.

Wanda and y/n exchanged a look, Wanda's eyes deep with sorrow as she gave y/n a half smile.

"I need to stay with him." She mumbled, voice soft like velvet as her eyes slid slowly to Vision before flitting back to meet y/n's understanding gaze.

"I get it. Don't feel bad - he needs you to protect him." Y/n placed a chaste kiss to Wanda's cheek before jogging swiftly from the room.

Wanda reached up absently, fingers dancing over the slightly warm spot on her cheek as a single tear slithered from her eye.

She knew in that moment, that this wouldn't end well.

...
Y/n could almost feel the phantom music resound around the tangle of bodies and blades and blood, the branching streaks of electric blue and white creeping across the grass and taking many more bodies with them.

"You're all dead now!" Bruce's voice boomed gleefully as y/n ran past him, feet working faster than her brain as she went tumbling into a solid back.

"Mph!" The person hummed, a pained groan slipping from their lips as they were tackled to the floor.

"Sorry!" Y/n exclaimed, patting the mud off herself briefly before spinning, a blade unbuckled from her hip and whistling into a monster's chest in a single, sleek movement.