dinner

"Toji," I mouthed his name.

He gave a slight smile "Y/N."

"Hi," I said "I mean. Welcome to the store. How can I help you?"

He chuckled, walking towards me. Behind him was Nanami, starring at his back, probably wondering who he was.

"It's been a while, Y/N." he said.

I remembered his voice, his mouth, the way he says my name.

"Yeah," I smiled "It's been a while."

"How are you? You look good." 

"Good," I said "How are you?"

"Fine."

I was unprepared to face him. Not that it's something I don't wish to happen. It was just that I feel like I'm dreaming. A dream so good that I just froze.

"I saw you from outside. So I walked in here. I thought I should greet you."

"Oh," was all I said.

He looked a little bit older. Something in his face told me that he's been through a lot more since we last saw each other. 

"What are you doing in Tokyo?" I asked, finally vocalizing my thought.

"I live here now." he scratched the back of his head whilst looking to the side "I work here."

I remembered all about his business. And about his plan to open a wine shop in the big city.

"You opened the wine shop?" I said, sounding so excited. How could I not? It's a big deal for him.

He nodded "It's only been two months."

I smiled "I'm really happy for you, Toji. Congratulations."

"Thank you." he said, eyes traveling back and forth from my eyes to my lips. "We should have dinner together sometimes. When are you free?"

"Umm.." I thought for a moment. Of course I wanted to have dinner with Toji. But I don't know if that decision is a good one or a bad one. There's a reason we didn't contact each other all this time. "Tomorrow. I work here every evening except for Wednesdays. So, tomorrow will be good."

"Okay," he said "Good. Where do you live?"

"Not far from here." I pointed randomly at my back. 

"Do you still have my number?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Then send me your address. I'll pick you up tomorrow." he smiled.

-

"I'm assuming he's an old acquaintance, Y/N?" Nanami said as we're closing the store.

"Yeah," I said.

He didn't say anything then.

"What?" I asked.

"When I say old, I meant two kinds of olds."

I laughed. This whole time Toji had been Toji to me. Not some guy who's almost ten years older than I am.

"How old is he anyway?" Nanami asked.

I turned to him and asked "Does he look that old?"

"Well, umm.." Nanami stammered "He.. umm. Well he doesn't look like someone you would go out with. More like a really old older brother."

I chuckled "Wow, Nanami. I thought you've always been a straightforward guy."

"Fine. He looks like he could be your uncle."

I laughed. 

-

We sat under a dim light, in a table for two. 

"How are you?" I asked him. "I mean.. are you healthy?"

He chuckled "I'm good, Y/N. How are you?"

"I'm fine. Just fine." I said "To be honest I'm surprised to see you yesterday. For a second I thought I was dreaming or something." I chuckled. I forgot how to speak with him. I must look like a fool.

"You changed a bit, Y/N."

"What?"

He leaned forward and gave me a look "You changed a bit. I can see some wrinkles." he teased, pointing at the area near my nose.

I slapped his finger away. "Shut up."

He laughed, then rolled the sleeves of his shirt up to his elbow.

"You changed a little too." I said. "You look happier."

"Really?" he said.

I nodded. "So you're free." I glanced at him for a second before looking down at my hands on the table.

"I guess I am." he smiled "I do enjoy living in the big city. Nobody knows who you are, who your father is. You have little chance to meet the same person twice. It's all good for me here."

I chuckled "Well I'm glad."

"So you're working yourself?" he nodded lightly at the waiter who put our foods and drinks on our table.

I took a sip of my drink quickly and said "Yeah. All I do these days is work. I'm still looking for a job that would require my degree. But in the mean time I have to have money. So I work in a cafe by day and the bookstore in the evening."

Toji hummed, taking a sip of his own drink. "You're growing up."

"I know right," I laughed "I feel so mature now. It's like I can do anything."

"You're free."

"Exactly."

After that we ate our food in quiet. We were both hungry people. By the time the plates were empty, we proceed with more conversations. He asked me about what kind of work I do in the cafe and the bookstore. "Do you wash dishes or something?" he asked. I shook my head, telling him that I do more than that. In the cafe we have to be able to do everything. Wash the dishes, make the food, the beverages, serve, clean the tables, floor, windows, and even clean the toilet.

"Do you have friends?" he asked.

"Sure," I nodded, thinking about Nanami, and the three other employes at the cafe.

Toji leaned back, brushing his hair back "I mean, real friends Y/N. You're in a new city. You need at least someone to help you with everyday life. Or just someone to talk to."

"I do." I insisted.

"Is it that boy from the bookstore?"

I smiled "Well he's one. But I also have other friends."

"Do they know where you live?"

I shook my head. "Not really."

"So no one knows where you live in Tokyo?" Toji said.

"I guess." I never thought about it. Whenever my parents or my cousin come to visit, we went to a restaurant of stayed at the hotel where they stayed. So none of them ever really see my apartment. 

He smiled "I suggest letting your friends know where you live. Maybe even invite them once in a while. Hang out." He sounded, weirdly, so fatherly "There's nothing wrong with having people there for you when you need help."

I almost blurted out laughing "You sound so wise. Since when are you like this?"

He just smiled and took a sip of his drink until the glass is empty. Then he said "Wanna go see my wine shop?"