Plans

The happenings of that morning didn't let Aladdin have peace.

He had dove a few inches into the volcano and caught the ball of magical mercury that Zafar was about to throw into the lava to resurrect the evil sorceress Malika, saving Baghdad from yet another danger. He would have died, if he hadn't summoned his magic carpet at the right time.

Zafar had fallen into the volcano and met his rightful fate, and the fact that it had really happened made his heart swell with joy and pride. He and Yasmine had been successful in proving his and his father's innocence to the people.

His heart was in a mix of emotions, and he was extremely happy that his mother Rukhsaar could finally live with the dignity and respect that she deserved.

But he also felt anxious, as the next day was Lovers' Day, a festive occasion on which lovers gave their beloveds lovely gifts and had a gala time with them.

He was going to propose to Yasmine. But would she accept?

"Aqaa?" came Angooti Chaap's voice, and the genie entered the room with a tray, on which was a goblet of cold sherbet.

"What is it, Angooti Chaap?" he asked.

"You look very disturbed. So I brought some sherbet for you."

Aladdin thanked him and drank the sherbet in a single gulp. Just then, Ginu and his cousin Gulbadan joined them, the latter with a dejected look on his face.

"What's the matter, Gullu?" asked Aladdin.

"It's Lovers' Day tomorrow, dear brother, and my Gullu isn't with me," he said, slightly tearing up.

Aladdin hugged him to comfort him. Gulbadan loved his wife, Gulegulfam, very much. But ever since they'd gotten married, his mother Naazneen always pestered her for wealth, which was why she had gone back to her parents' house.

"Don't worry Gullu. I'll convince her to come back," said Aladdin.

"Thank you, Aladdin. By the way," said Gulbadan, gently putting his hands around his cousin's shoulders. "When are you proposing to Nak- I mean, Sultana?"

Aladdin smiled coyly, causing Angooti Chaap and Ginu to laugh.

"Chote, Aqaa looks good when he blushes, na?"

"Yes, Bade! Tell us, Aqaa Aladdin Naam Toh Suna Hoga! When are you proposing to your Nakchadi?"

"Tomorrow," said Aladdin. "And I'm going to Jordan to get some flowers for her."

"Let me come with you, Aqaa," said Angooti Chaap.

Aladdin refused, saying that it was his proposal, and that he had to be the one to get the flowers, alone.

Meanwhile, Genie Mini was teasing Yasmine, and Chacha was spying on them cluelessly.

"Genie Mini, has Sheikh Ginu confessed his feelings to you yet?" asked Yasmine.

"No Sultana. I'm afraid that you and I are on the same boat," replied Genie Mini with a frown.

"Ugh, why are all men like this? Be it humans or genies, all men are the same!"

As she started ranting, her handmaiden Piddi came into the room, followed by another handmaiden, Mohsina.

Piddi had married Khurram, the love of her life, much earlier as she feared that she would lose him to Zafar's wrath. As she helped Khurram at his cloth shop, she didn't come to work very often, but Yasmine was still very close to her.

And as a result, Mohsina was hired as another handmaiden. She was a pretty girl with a tanned complexion, and long, curly golden-brown hair. Her eyes, which were an icy grey, struck the onlookers hard. Yasmine sometimes complimented that she was more beautiful than her.

"Sultana, I'm so happy today!" exclaimed Piddi.

"Why?" asked Yasmine.

"Tomorrow's the first Lovers' Day I'm going to celebrate after my marriage! Khurram promised me that he'd give me a special gift!"

Both the queen and Mohsina placed their palms on their forehead.

"Seriously Piddi," said Mohsina. "Why do you always wait for the man to do something? Why don't you gift something to Khurram instead?"

"I agree with her," said Genie Mini. "You should gift something to him."

Piddi was stumped. Just then, Rukhsaar entered the room.

"Sultana, I have made Sheer Korma for you," she said. "You could do with some sweet after your victory over that scoundrel."

Yasmine was delighted.

"Ammi, your Sheer Korma is all that I need now," she said. "Please feed me with your own hands."

Rukhsaar laughed as she fed her.

"By the way, Gullu just told me that my Aladdin is going to Jordan," she told Yasmine. "Did you send him there for some mission?"

"No Ammi. I didn't give him any mission."

Rukhsaar was surprised. But she quickly guessed why her son was going to Jordan, a country known for its beautiful things, that too the day before Lovers' Day.

A mother always knows about her child. But she stopped herself from revealing anything to Yasmine, not wanting to ruin Aladdin's proposal plans.

The rest of the day went quite smoothly. Aladdin instructed Gulbadan and the genies to help Yasmine take care of Baghdad while he was away.