A New Companion

Aladdin bought a shawl with beautiful embroidery and some jewels for Yasmine.

The next day was a special day for Egyptians, as it was Adaya's birthday. She had arranged a huge feast for the people, who wished her and Firoz lifelong happiness.

Aladdin had eaten to his heart's content, and he was with the royal couple and the ministers in the courtroom, watching a performance by a troupe of dancers and musicians.

One singer in particular, who was singing as well as playing a lute, impressed everyone. When Adaya tried to reward him, he refused, saying that he did not sing for money, but rather, to let go of his inhibitions.

Aladdin was surprised at how politely he had refused the queen's offer. He went looking for the youth, and confronted him.

"What is your name, good man?" he asked.

"My name is Hamid," the singer replied. "And I know why you've come after me. You want to know why I refused Sultana's reward, right?"

Aladdin stayed quiet.

"I hate to be rude, but it's none of your business. Now let me go!"

Aladdin usually never meddled with other people's affairs, but this lad seemed to be stuck in a problem. And when Aladdin was present, he would never let anyone, known or unknown, have a problem.

"Hamid!" he called out. "Listen to me at least once!"

He caught up with the other youth and made him face him.

"Look, I know that you have a problem, and I want to help you. What is the matter?"

Hamid shot him a deathly glare with his dark chocolate eyes. But Aladdin was not intimidated.

"Just because you are the hero of Baghdad doesn't mean that you can be the same here," he snapped. "Just leave me alone!"

He tried to leave again.

"Hamid, if you have a problem and still choose to suffer it, then you're a coward," said Aladdin.

Hamid was struck. Feeling ridiculed, he hastened back.

"Please tell me. I want to help you," Aladdin told him again.

"It's my boss," replied Hamid. "She runs a brothel and has kidnapped a lot of innocent girls. She forces them to give pleasure to clients. She forces me to sing for the clients, and beats me even when I'm not at fault. I literally have to sneak out to perform in public like this."

He broke down as he spoke. Aladdin was shocked. How could Adaya be unaware of this?

"I know what you are thinking," said Hamid. "Those girls are not from Egypt, but are kidnapped from other kingdoms by her men and brought to the brothel, and also, it's situated in a very sparsely populated area. There are no soldiers there."

"I will inform the Sultana right away. You stay with me," said Aladdin.

He soon did that, and Firoz and Adaya were shocked at the news.

In just a matter of minutes, Nadira, the madam of the brothel, was caught, and all the girls there were freed.

"Aladdin, thanks for alerting us of such a big problem!" said Firoz profusely.

"You have to thank Hamid for that," he said. "He refused your reward because Nadira would snatch it from him."

Firoz and his fiancee thanked Hamid, who said that it was his duty.

Soon, the sun set and it was time for Aladdin to leave.

"Do come to Baghdad once, Ada," he told Adaya. "And Firoz, take care of my old friend well!"

"I will, Aladdin!" replied Firoz.

After bidding goodbye to the couple, Aladdin exited the city and was about to summon his magic carpet, when suddenly, a hand tapped his shoulder.

"Hamid!" he said. "What are you doing here?"

"Aladdin, I want to leave this place. Here, I have so many memories that I want to forget," answered Hamid. "Will you take me to Baghdad along with you? It has also been my year-long dream to perform for Sheh- I mean, Sultana Yasmine."

Aladdin smiled. Besides all the gifts he had bought, he was sure that his Nakchadi would love Hamid's voice too.

"Okay," he said. "Let me just call my magic carpet."

He shouted and whistled, and the carpet quickly showed up. Both if them made themselves comfortable on it and began to fly to Baghdad.

On the trip, Aladdin saw the real face of Hamid. He was very intelligent, lively, and funny.

They'd become fast friends.