A Meeting and An Impression

Hamid loved Baghdad, and Baghdad loved him. The only people who seemed to dislike his presence were Mustafa and Naazneen, Gulbadan's parents. While helping Yasmine with the administration, Aladdin often took time out to explore the city with him. 

But Mohsina on the other hand, was unsure of who to tell the matters of her heart to. Piddi was a chatterbox as was her husband Khurram, and together, the couple could never keep any secrets. The other servants in the palace were great gossip-mongers too. 

To free her mind, she decided to go to the mosque. She knelt down to pray, and was lost for some time.

At that time, Hamid came to the mosque with Rukhsaar.

"When I was expecting Aladdin, I used to come here every day to pray for him," she told him. "Now, he's getting married to his lifelong love, so I have to offer a special prayer."

"He's lucky that he has someone so affectionate and loving in his life," said Hamid. "My mother abandoned me when I was born and it was a kind nurse named Shamshad who raised me. But she died when I was fourteen, and since I didn't have any money, I agreed to work for Nadira. But I hated it there and used to escape once in a while to perform with different troupes."

Rukhsaar put a comforting arm around his shoulder.

"I already told you, Hamid. You are no less than my son."

"Thank you, Ammi."

Both of them began to pray, when Hamid spotted Mohsina in a corner. 

The girl who had pleasantly haunted his dreams, was right in front of him now. She was about to leave the mosque, and he decided to go after her.

"Ammi, you stay here," he told Rukhsaar. "I'll come back in a jiffy."

Before Rukhsaar could say anything, Hamid ran and follwed Mohsina into the empty bazaar, unsure how to approach her.

"How can someone be so gorgeous?" he thought. "Her mannerisms are just so intoxicating!"

Mohsina stopped by a shop to buy a bracelet for herself. She began to try on different bracelets, and when one bracelet didn't fit her properly, the shopkeeper offered to help her with it. 

Hamid watched with envy as the man slipped the accessory on her wrist. 

Suddenly, he invaded her personal space and tried to misbehave with her. 

"Hey mister, what do you think you're doing?" she barked, and gave him a slap on the face. "Do you know what will happen if I tell the Sultana?"

But he still inched closer to her. Hamid could not tolerate this, and ran to the spot to defend her. 

He clutched the shopkeeper's hand and after a short tussle, drove him away, injuring his wrists in the process. 

Mohsina was horrified. She pulled him into a corner and admonished him. 

"Why did you do that?" she asked. "If something serious had happened to you, then Sultana would've skinned me!"

"He was about to assault you! What is your fault in it?"

Mohsina didn't answer, and instead began to nurse his wounds. Hamid gazed at her intently.

"Look here, mister," she said. "You are new to this kingdom, and it is part of my job to see that you are safe."

"You work for Sultana Yasmine?" asked Hamid.

"Yes. I am her handmaiden, and she has instructed me to keep you comfortable. You have put my job in danger by fighting with that man!"

The young man laughed.

"Don't worry. I'll make sure that you don't lose your job."

"Thank you, Sir Hamid."

"Just call me Hamid," he said.

He gently swept his fingers through her curls, making every nook of her body tingle.

She gave him a pretentious angry look and ran into the alleyway. Hamid was impressed by how feisty she was.

"I'm not messing with her again," he said to himself, and went back to Rukhsaar.

But that was just the beginning.