First Sight

It was morning by the time Aladdin and Hamid reached Baghdad. They went to the palace, where Gulbadan and Rukhsaar were waiting to receive him

Aladdin was surprised to see Gulegulfam along with him.

"Sister-in-law," he said. "I'm glad that you came back! Gullu was miserable without you!"

He'd always addressed her by her name, but seeing how much Gulbadan loved her, he rightfully addressed her as his sister-in-law.

"I couldn't live without Gullu either," she answered shyly, earning a playful nudge from her husband.

Rukhsaar smiled at their love, and prayed for their happiness.

"By the way, dear brother, who is this?" asked Gulbadan, gesturing at Hamid.

Aladdin gave a quick introduction and explained all the happenings at Egypt.

His family marvelled.

The four genies welcomed their master with a flower shower. Yasmine ran to hug him, and he presented her with the gifts he'd bought.

"Nakchadi, meet my new friend, Hamid," he said.

"Salaam, Sultana Yasmine."

Yasmine greeted him back. Just like her fiance, she found him charming and interesting.

"Please allow me to sing for you," said Hamid respectfully.

The queen was tired after attending to royal duties, and she thought that a song could make her relax.

Everyone in the room listened with rapt attention as Hamid sang one of his best poems.

His deep, angelic voice reached the ears of Mohsina, who was instructing some cooks to do their work properly. She finished her work quickly and went into the courtroom.

On seeing Hamid, she felt her heart flutter with a strange feeling.

"How handsome he is!" she thought. "And what a voice!"

And right then, the most unexpected happening took place.

As Mohsina's full attention was gravitating towards Hamid, his brown eyes locked with her grey ones, and he felt himself lost in her beauty.

He soon finished the song and stood still, unable to take his eyes off Mohsina.

No one saw them, except Yasmine, given her eagle eyes. She smiled to herself and gestured to Aladdin, who told her to keep quiet. He then stood up to recite the following poem.

Main koi aisa geet gaoon
Ki aarzu jagaun agar tum kaho

Tumko bulaun ya palkein bichhaun
Kadam tum jahan jahan rakho

Zameen ko aasman banaun
Sitaron se sajaun agar tum kaho

"Aqaa, what song is this?" asked Ginu.

"Ginu, just like I always say..."

But he was interrupted by Hamid, who completed his famous dialogue.

"This is not a song yet, but will become one for sure!"

Everyone burst out laughing, but Aladdin was priding himself, and Hamid had locked eyes with Mohsina again.

That night, when Hamid was in the chamber that had been arranged for him, he wrote a poem as he visualised the image of Mohsina, inadvertantly smiling to himself.

Her striking eyes, rosy lips, shiny hair, perfect figure, and especially that charismatic smile.

"Who is that damsel?" he asked himself. "Why does the thought of her make me so happy?"

He threw himself on the bed, unable to get Mohsina out of his mind.