Family First

Being that Chrissy was a full-time student, she loved weekends. Time to spend with her friends and family. This Saturday, her family had planned a dinner out at one of their favorite restaurants. After showering, Chrissy stood in her closet staring at her clothes - wondering what she should wear today. She decided on camouflage joggers, and a tight black t-shirt. She applied her makeup and curled her hair. She was ready to go. On the way to the restaurant, she texted Bryan - it seemed like that was what her daily routine consisted of now. When her family got to the restaurant and were seated, they spent twenty minutes catching up on life. They were such a busy family, that even though they lived in the same household - sometimes it was hard to have a daily conversation with each other. "I'm still so shocked to be playing varsity my sophomore year!" her brother said. Basketball was his life. He ate,slept, and breathed basketball. "We're so proud of you son!" Chrissy's mother and father said. They couldn't help but notice, Chrissy seemed to be completely tied up in her phone. "So,babygirl...what's been up with you?" ... "Babygirl?!" Chrissy's father said a little louder the second time. "Oh, yes dad? - Sorry." Chrissy said. "I was asking what was new in your life" her father said. "Apparently something pretty damn interesting." her brother joked. "Watch your mouth,boy!" her mother said. "Yeah, LITTLE BOY - watch your mouth." Chrissy mocked as she playfully hit her brother. "Um, nothing daddy. Just school. We had midterms this week." Chrissy said nervously. She knew her family could tell when she was lying instantly. But she was way too nervous to bring up Bryan. Plus, she'd never even met him in person. So why even bring it up? "No new man?" her mom asked inquisitively. "NO. MOTHER." Chrissy replied in a blunt tone. "I think shes lying." her brother said. "Hm, I know shes lying." her father said - practically stinging her with his eyes. "Tell the truth, Christi'Ana" he said. Chrissy knew when her father called her by her full name, he wasn't playing. Chrissy sighed, "okay" she said. "Okay, what?" said her father who seemed to be growing impatient with Chrissy's stalling. "I met a guy." Chrissy said in a tone full of nervousness. "Oh, that's great sweetie!" her mother said with excitement. "What's his name? What's he like?" she asked. "His name is Bryan, and he's 21 and a college student." Chrissy said. "Sounds like a pretty nice guy.." her father said "when will we meet him?" When he asked that question Chrissy felt her stomach turn. "What's wrong fool? You don't want us to meet him? He ugly, or locked up, or something?" her brother said jokingly as he chucked. "No,stupid!" Chrissy said glaring at her younger brother. "He's just..um.. He--" "He's WHAT?" her father said. "He's not from here, I met him online." Chrissy said embarrassingly. "Online? Haven't you ever heard of 'Catfish' stupid!?" her brother said. Referring to a show that was based on catching online posers. "How do you know he's even real?" he asked. "I've seen him. Well, I mean not in person but on video. I'm not that naive!" Chrissy said in a matter of fact tone to her brother. "Well, I think that's just great sweetheart." her mother said in a nurturing tone. "If you're happy - WE'RE happy.. AREN'T WE,boys?" she said in an insisting manner to Chrissy's father and younger brother. "Yeah." they said in unison. "Look, we just want you to be safe babygirl." her father said. "Yeah, peanut head." her brother agreed "there are some creeps out there" he said. Chrissy understood her family's concern, but Bryan was different, she knew it, and she wanted to prove that to them.