The Talk

"Hello?" Chrissy answered the phone with a stomach full of butterflies. "Hey boo, what's up?" she heard from the opposite end of the line. She and Bryan had been talking for a couple months now, but every time he called she got the same butterflies. "Oh, nothing much - just doing some homework." she replied, but in all honesty when she saw his name on her phone she dropped everything she was doing. There was no way she could give her attention to anything other than him at that moment. She loved the sound of his voice, his deep tone, his distinct accent. She could listen to him talk all day long. "What are you up to" she asked. "Nothing, I was just thinking about you - so I decided I'd give you a call" he said. "Well, that's a very sweet thing to do" Chrissy said in a flirtatious tone. The thought of him calling her "just because" made her feel special. "I have a question" she heard Bryan say. Now, anytime she heard that phrase, she braced herself. With men you never can be too sure. "Okay.." she said hesitantly "what's your question?" she asked. She heard Bryan take a deep breath "Where is this going?" he asked. She felt her stomach drop as if she'd swallowed a brick. "Umm.." she muttered, trying to stall for time. "I mean, we've been talking for a few months now. And I know we live so far apart. But I can't lie and say that I don't have feelings for you when I know that I do" he said. Chrissy was stuck. What had she gotten herself into? She's caught feelings for a man that she has never seen in person, and now he wants to take the next step. How is this going to work? A million and one questions reeled through her head. "Uh, hello?" Bryan said "Are you there?" - "Yeah, sorry. I'm here" Chrissy said nervously. "Well, what are you thinking?" he asked her. "I"m not sure" Chrissy said softly. "I mean, I like you - I really do, but  how on earth would this work? We live a thousand miles away from one another" She said. "I'm going to come see you, and were going to talk about what you think the next step should be" Bryan said abruptly. "WHAT?!" Chrissy said feeling a mixture of emotions. "I'm coming to see you, at the end of the month." Bryan repeated. "Yeah, sure" Chrissy said in a sarcastic tone. "I know you probably don't believe me, but I really think you're worth the trip. So after I get my flight information, I'll text it to you." Her stomach started to feel like it was tied in knots. She said "okay". And hung up the phone. He couldn't possibly be serious. Chrissy had been hurt more than once, and she wasn't going to get her hopes up and put herself through that again.