Chapter 13 - The BigHouse

My first couple of days were regular , I shared a cell with a kid that was maybe 15 or 16 & was Spanish . He looked like he had recently took a beaten .

" What's your name ? " I said curiously

He looked at me with one eye since the other was swollen shut and looked away so I decided to leave him alone .

I could only work for my first week before fully being in General Population & getting privileges

A lot of niggas got money in here sneaking in drugs and so on but I was trying to make my time go by fast and with ease so I wasn't gonna do any stupid shit to risk being in here longer

Even though I had money , everybody still got assigned a job which was laundry in my case .

It was only 3 guys in laundry .... Me , Some Spanish guy named Leto and my roommate .

One day 2 white guys came in the laundry room to drop off laundry or so I thought instead of just dropping off their sack of clothes like everyone else they came empty handed though so I knew something was up .

They called my room mate over by the name pussy and he just obeyed . Then they pulled him behind one side of the washers as me and Leto were near the driers and couldn't see over them .

I didn't interfere yet because I didn't even know anything was going on .

Then Leto looked at me and said " no matter what , don't go over there "

I shrugged as I stuffed more khaki colored suits into the dryer .

Then I heard my room mate saying stop 2 times in a row and one of the guys must've got angry because I heard him throw him into the glass of the room where we kept detergents .

I walked over .....

And they were trying to force ....

They were raping him ...

I immediately pushed them off him and began fighting . I guess Leto got some balls too because he started fighting the other guys . And before anything could get super crazy we heard the radio of an CO .

We all acted normal

" get back to your day Kids " he said pointing at the 2 white guys as they left

Once the CO left again since he only did hourly checks . I walked over to my room mate , he worked like nothing happened , Leto too ... So this probably happen before .

" you Okay ? " I said

" yeah thanks , you didn't have to do that " he said looking down

" I don't have to do anything , I choose what I do so want to tell me what was going on ? "

" they came for my food but I don't have any money on store day so when I can't give them anything they do that "

See snacks/food are like currency aka money in jail . People made bets with honey buns and traded hygiene products for noodles .

Needed a hair cut ? That could be 2 snickers or a large bag of starburst

Wanted a tattoo ? That could be 20 honey buns depending on what you were getting .

They must've visited him weekly on Thursdays like today because it's store day .

" well it won't happen again , just stick with me and you'll be good " I said looking at him

he smirked and dapped me up
" thanks Dream , I'm Rome by the way " he said nodding