Chapter 17: Identity

Levi's POV

From my room in the basement, I saw the sun rising above the ocean. Hanji... she's already gone. I couldn't even say goodbye to her... and she was gone for a month or so... while I'm stuck down here for who knows how long. One thing that's for sure... I'm glad that her father doesn't know that we are in love with each other. I just hope that I can have his blessing to marry Hanji. That's all I want to do...

*   *   *

Hours went by until Keith let me out of my room. He had a saddened look on his face. I dared not to ask him what was wrong. "Let's go, Levi. King Matthew wants to see you." If I knew anything, perhaps I'm being sent away to a place where no one would find me. In a place... where I don't get to see her again.

I followed Keith out of the guards' rooms and up into the throne room. There, Queen Rachel was sitting alongside King Matthew. They held their chins high as I entered. What punishment would I receive? What is going to happen to me? Will I ever see my princess again? All I want is for her to be safe... happy... always smiling. That's all I want for her.

"Leave us."

King Matthew's booming voice had ordered everyone to leave. Not a single guard in sight. To some people, he may have made a stupid mistake. He could be assassinated alongside his wife while the woman next in line for the throne is out of sight. But the way I saw it... King Matthew trusted me. Even after me being accused of some sort of murderous demon... King Matthew chose to not have protection from me. He truly trusts me...

"Levi, I'm sorry for what happened last night. I had to punish you in front of him, and I had to go through with it. If he ever laid his hands on you, I can guarantee that Hanji would be devastated." I know Hanji will be safe with Prince Erwin and his family."

"What's going to happen with me?"

King Matthew took another sigh, tapping his fingers on his throne. "If I am honest, I do not know. If anything, you'll stay here for the rest of your life. You have potential. Levi, you're one of the best guards I've ever had. You're important here. And I do not want you to go into the hands of the man who wants your bloodline."

"Do you... believe I am an Ackerman...? Those blood-thirst demons?"

"I believe you are an Ackerman. But a demon? No. If he is hunting you down, I hope for the best for your mother."

I never thought of her lately... "Why do you worry about her? She left- abandoned me. She never came back to see me. You're the one who took me in when she abandoned me. Hanji saved me from losing a hand. I know my mother tried to stop it from happening... but she never came back. Why should I worry for her?"

"Levi, the day we first met, I asked if she had silver eyes like you. You nodded your head. If King Christopher found your mother, who knows what could've happened. And I'm looking on the bright side. If your mother did come back for you, you wouldn't know how to fight this well. You're protecting my daughter. Not many can handle that job. If you were captured, we couldn't guarantee your safety. Maybe something bad happened to her right after she left. You were 7 years old at that time. You may not know what happened when you were young."

I remembered wanting my mom back... because I missed her songs that she sang to me every night. She promised she'll fix my stuffed animal when we went to the marketplace to buy apples. That man... the tall man... Kenny...

"You'll be safe here, Levi. Accept your identity as an Ackerman. But I don't accept that you're a demon. Don't you remember Petra?"

"I... I do..."

"She came to me yesterday, crying about accidentally knowing who you were. She thought she betrayed you. She still loves you, Levi. Tell me, do you think a demon would sway anyone's heart? Did you love her? If you did, tell me, do you think a blood-thirsty demon would love anyone? King Christopher claimed that they care about chaos and war. Have you started any wars?"

"No..."

"You're not a demon, Levi. You have been with me ever since you were little. I do not doubt that you have any bad intentions. Not many kings and queens would keep someone who has an identity like yours. I am one of the few who believes in you."

Would you still believe in me if I told you I am in love with your daughter?

"You're no longer a prisoner. You served your time. But before you're free, I have something to ask of you, Levi." He stiffened his back as he looked down at me. "Do not let my daughter sway you anymore. I know her heart is pure and she cares for you. But she put you and herself in danger. If you disobey me once more, I'll ensure she'll stay with Prince Erwin until she's ready to marry."