Chapter 2 - Year 845

~ A few months ago (Year 844)~

The clock ticked agonizingly slow.

*Tick*

A pale body lay on a bed with white covers covering the body.

*Tick*

There were a few people surrounding the body, in black.

*Tick*

Two boys.

*Tick*

Two girls.

*Tick*

A man and a woman.

*Tick*

An old man.

*Tick*

A girl was in front of them all.

*Tick*

Petrified to move.

*Tick*

"Mom..." She murmured as she was lost in darkness and blindly stared at a couple who were smiling at her. With Love.

*Tick*

That was the final time the clock ticked for the pale body that lay on the bed.

~ A year ago (Year 844 before death of Linda)~

*Ring*

"They're back! The scouts are finally back!"

Eren and Esmeralda were very excited. Mr.Moritz was a scout in a titan researcher's squad! They both dreamed of becoming a scout, helping people and exploring the outside world. Such a wonderful experience it would be, they used to think. Mr.Moritz often told them the tales of how brave soldiers fought the ugly creatures to death and signified the wings of freedom as they zip across using their ODM gear.

Today he would be returning from an expedition and they expected him to tell them more awe-inspiring stories. They stood right beside the path where multiple yet a smaller number of scouts were riding horses. A woman with brownish hair and glasses came towards them with a grim expression. She stopped and choked out something which removed the glimmer in Esmeralda's eyes.

"Sorry for your loss... Moritz... was a good man... with exceptional talents..." the woman said as she rode away.

Esmeralda had a nonchalant face as she clenched her hands into a fist. Eren and Mikasa got worried and side hugged her to make her feel better. Way down deep, Mikasa knew it only had a little effect. After all, she watched her parents die in front of her, she knew how it felt. Mikasa wanted to help Esmeralda the most. Just like when Esmeralda cheered her up and made her feel warm.

"H-he must've... He must've d-died, signifying the wings of freedom!" Esmeralda yelled, as tears built up in her eyes, loud enough for the brown haired woman to hear.

~ Present (Year 845)~

Eren and Mikasa were returning after collecting wood for fire, as soon as they finished, they were heading home, where Esme would be helping Carla with cooking and arranging the table, and where Grisha would do his work.

Usually Esme would also be helping, but since the death of her father, she hasn't been much active. She hardly did anything for herself, she only helped them after finishing her chores and never let them help. She stopped playing, all she did in her free time was sit back in her shared room with Mikasa, drawing or she occasionally pranks Eren, but when one of them was sad, she never failed to cheer them up.