Chapter 1

How did I, Amelia Surg, end up in the principal's office? It all started with egotistical, popular jocks and their need to make girls like me suffer 4 years of torturous high school.

What's a girl like Amelia Surg, you're probably wondering. I'm the girl in the back of the class, silently chewing her old, flavorless gum and wondering when her real life will begin. I'm the girl who wears what you might find in the fashion "don't" section of a magazine. I'm the girl who hides her pale, green eyes behind her long, black hair. I am most certainly not the girl who wishes to be messed with by egotistical, popular jocks.

20 minutes earlier...

As I was walking through the crowded school hallways, I only had one thought on my mind: getting to class. Unfortunately the school's "golden boys" decided to pay me a visit.

"Hey babe," a tall, muscular, brown-haired, jock says to me.

"Hello stupid," I reply with a roll of my eyes.

"Babe, there's no need for that. We had such a blast last night," he chuckles out.

"I was nowhere near you last night, and that's how I prefer it," I glared.

His buddies seemed to understand that my comment was meant to hurt his ego, so they let out a loud 'ohh' and created a larger crowd. The wounded boy flustered for a response before deciding on something slap-worthy. He backed me into a corner and started touching me, making comments like "Remember this" and "Last night you moaned." The crowd members laughed and joined in with the comments. So I did what a sensible, self-respecting female should do: I slapped him.

"You disrespectful, repulsive, dreadful jock! What kind of person thinks this type of behavior is acceptable in any instance? You're intolerable and I struggle to understand how so many girls spend their time drooling over you!"

I then proceeded to kick the arrogant fool where it would hurt. He groaned and landed on the floor where I stood over him and narrowed my eyes. When I looked away from the idiot, I saw two other idiots dragging our school Vice Principal towards me. Mr. Tuck took in the scene quickly before his eyes settled on me. His brown eyes pierced through my soul and had me turning towards the Principal's office without a word.

This is how I managed to find myself in the principal's office.

Jerk Jock looked very pleased with himself and relaxed in the cold, plastic chairs we sat in. He probably enjoyed watching me fret over my record. Getting into fights is NOT something colleges are looking for in students these days. The boy next to me casually fixed his hair using Mr. Tuck's dust-free desk as a mirror. I glanced at the desk haphazardly and found my reflection watching. My hair almost reached my eyes, but I tended to pull it into a bun so it didn't block my vision. My eyes carried bags beneath them, due to my sleeping habits lately. My eyes looked more pale than green today, letting my tiredness shine through. My skin was blemish-free mainly because I was never the type of girl to use makeup. My lips were thin and frowning because of this whole situation. That was when Mr. Tuck walked in to find two teenage children checking themselves out in his desk. He rolled his eyes and settled into his large swivel chair.

"So what exactly went down here," he questioned.

"She was hitting on me, and it was so gross," Jock-boy stated.

"What he means to say is that he insulted me, I retaliated, and once he began to touch me inappropriately I, again, retaliated," I corrected.

Mr. Tuck sighed and closed his eyes. He rubbed his temples with an unpleasant scowl on his face.

"You kids need to learn to get along," he muttered. "You both are going to participate in community service hours."

"What," I exclaimed. "I did nothing wrong!"

"I didn't do anything either," the jock protested.

"Chad," Mr. Tuck sighed. "Amelia. You both were in the wrong and I'm sure video footage will prove it. Community service. 2:30-5:30. Starting tomorrow. Now get to class."

Chad and I marched out of his office, both of us scowling. He strutted ahead meeting with the stragglers that waited for him. Those poor boys can't even continue their day without their dearest leader. How pathetic. He whined to his followers about our punishment and bragged about not attending it, which is fine with me. The smaller amount of time I have to deal with him the less painful this experience will be. If only I could avoid him completely.