Chapter 11

After we finally calmed our laughter, Chad looked around my house.

"It's really boring in here," he states. "No offense though..."

I lift my shoulders and shrug. "It's only a house, not a home."

He looks at me oddly before jumping on to the leather couch my parents purchased. He stretched his legs across the coffee table and leaned back. I find myself repulsed at his behavior. The couch and coffee table are now muddy and wet, which I am responsible for cleaning up. At the very least he could have taken off his mud-caked shoes.

I move to stand in front of him and raise an eyebrow. "Jerk Jock, could you at least take off your messy shoes!"

He finally notices his mess and sends me a sheepish smile. "Whoops."

He takes off his sneakers at the door while speaking to me. "So, what subject do you want to help me on first?"

"What subject are you worst in?"

He laughs while sitting back down. "Every. Single. One. But, I really really suck at English."

I bring out all of my notes and watch him do the same. "English? That's one of the easiest subjects we have."

"Only to you," he counters. "Miss Roberts is insane."

"Miss Roberts is wonderful," I exclaim. "She happens to be one of my favorite teachers!"

"Teacher's pet," I hear him cough under his breath. I glare at him, but don't grace him with a reply. I decide to continue doing my own work until he can get his act together. It takes him approximately two minutes to do so.

"So, uh, Amelia," he asks. "Are you going to help?"

I release an exaggerated sigh and answer him. "What about English is difficult to you?"

"Shakespeare," he replies without a single thought. "His plays are just stupid to me."

I roll my eyes at his reasoning. "It's only 'stupid' to those who don't understand it," I riposte.

He laughs quietly and I find myself grinning. "Alright then, my class has been reading the Romeo one."

"Romeo and Juliet? Please Chad, tell me you understand that."

"Nope," he replies.

I shake my head and respond. "Well then, let us begin."

Chad is much more intelligent than I would have first thought. It is as though he never thought he could achieve an academic success, so he decided not to try. He makes himself out to be a 'bone-headed jock' when he is actually very bright. Perhaps it is for popularity or labels, but his understanding is rather remarkable once he worked through the literature. It was merely a few hours before we had completed his English homework and he was preparing to leave.

"Thank you Amy," he says with a smile.

I give him a quizzical look at the nickname. "You're welcome Jerk Jock."

He grins at me and holds my gaze for what feels like eternity. I watch as his eyes wander to my lips and automatically lick them in response. He leans in towards me as though he expects me to kiss him. I place a finger on his lips and take a step back.

"No," I state forcefully.

He guiltily moves away from me. "Sorry, I just..."

"Please go," I interrupt with slight sympathy.

He leaves without a word and I close our front door. I have completed all my work and don't feel like eating anything in particular, so I simply start my shower. I spend most of my time thinking about Chad. Does he have an interest in me? I would hope not. How could I forgive someone who treated me like dirt? Although the past few days have been lovely, I am not ready for anything of that sorts.

I brush my teeth quickly before plopping into bed. My last thought before I drift to sleep is of Jerk Jock, and if he remains a Jerk.
_____________________

I wake up a few minutes before my alarm clock, and decide to get ready now. I pack my bags and hurry downstairs to find a note from my mother.

Have a nice day pumpkin. Your father and I love you.
~ Mom

I smile at the small gesture. These notes are a rare treat, a reminder to me that despite my parent's eccentricities they still care for me.

I leave my house in a pleasant mood and begin my walk to school. I scan my phone for interesting news as I see a car slow down in my peripherals. I glance over and recognize Chad behind the wheel.

"Hey Amy," he grins. "Need a ride?"

His smile brings out the small dimples in his cheeks and I find myself immediately wanting to agree. "Sure," I answer.

I hop into the passenger seat and he waits a moment for me to buckle. He sends me one last smile before starting one of the worst carpool experiences of my life.