Chapter 3

The only confusing part of this situation was how Jerk Jock found my phone number.

"You are pretty."
"Sorry for being a jerk."

Of course I knew it was him. He was in fact the only person to refer to me as pretty. I considered the possibility of this all being an elaborate trick to humiliate me further. He was a natural disaster for girls like me. As soon as we get comfortable, he rips in roaring and tearing our world apart. I would not succumb to his tricks. With that in mind, I replied to his message.

"What do you want?"

I smirked and watched as he began typing.

"You."

I scowled but couldn't help the fluttery feeling in my stomach. Staring at my phone blankly, I wondered how to reply. He was obviously toying with me and my emotions, but part of me wished it were true. I've never been wanted by someone, and it felt as though I was important. Making someone feel this way should be a crime. It's far too distracting and difficult to handle. I was brought back to reality when I received yet another message from Jerk Jock.

"And I know you want me too."

With that message, my stomach stood still. I knew it wasn't real, that he was a liar. But I couldn't help the slight disappointment I was feeling. Blaming it on the hormones, I created a response that would shut him up.

"Only in your dreams, Jerk Jock."

I expected this to stun him into leaving me alone and in peace.

I was wrong.

"Oh, babe, cute nickname."

I rolled my eyes and mentally kicked myself for provoking him further. This is not what I expected to being doing on my Tuesday night. I wanted to finish my work and slide into my favorite sweatpants. I wanted to curl up in my bed and read the night away. Instead I found myself texting a jock. I replied with as much snappiness as I could muster.

"I'm not your babe, baby, or anything of the sorts and will never be. Now leave me in peace."

I kidded myself I into thinking that I could avoid looking at his response and focus on my homework. When I heard my phone vibrate softly, I realized how wrong I was.

"I'm hot, a single girl like you would be happy to go on a date with me."

I glared at his message. How could one body contain so much arrogance and testosterone? It creates a obnoxious boy for me to handle. I reply to his message quickly and return to my work.

"I'm not that desperate."

After I've finished my homework, he still hasn't replied, which pleases and saddens me at the same time. He's annoying and bothersome, but no one has given me this much attention ever. It's new and interesting, so it brings me out of my boring routine.

Stepping out of my room, I trudge down the stairs until I reached the kitchen. The entire room reeked of that "new" smell. When I was younger, I loved the smell. It has been 14 years since we bought the house. I would assume that the new smell should be gone and replaced with smells of home cooked meals.

I eat alone. My parents purchase microwaveable meals for me to shove down my throat in silence. No one is here to eat home cooked meals with me. There's never anyone here but me. I'm not quite sure if my parents even come home at night.

As I eat my microwaved Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo, I turn on the television. My mom is shown on the screen smiling next to the person she's preparing to defend. My parents are famous for their many cases, for their many victories are highly impressive. I'm proud of my parents, I really am. They are incredibly good lawyers and spectacular at what they do. I just don't want that for myself. I don't want to leave people alone eating microwaveable meals because of my job. Although with my parents plans for me, I'm going to end up just like them. Every child's dream, right?

I slowly paddled up my stairs to return to my room when I heard a faint vibration. I willed myself not to look or care, but I found that I was already reaching for my phone. Giving in, I flipped it over and viewed the lock screen. Jerk Jock was at it again.

"See you on that double date ;)"