Chapter 34: One way, or another

💋
————

"Alright, let's buckle up!", Andre glided his hands along his sleek black hair.

I hopped in the huge black Cadillac Escalade that sir Jay, a friend of mama J, graciously lent us. He's such an angel, because ang dami niyang binibigay sa amin from my free hotel lodging to our food. With him and Miss O, parang wala nga kaming nagagastos masyado talaga.

The Filipino community in SoCal were very warm and welcoming. Parang nasa Pilipinas lang din kami. I've been to three different meet and greet events so far, and sobrang nakakataba ng puso yung pag-welcome nila sa akin. Hindi lang pagkain yung binibigay nila, but pati mga gamit. Nacomplete ko na nga ang Apple set ko, from an iPhone to laptop and accessories. Dati nangangarap lang ako makabili ng any Apple gadget, pero ngayon, binibigay lang sa akin as a gift. Look at how a year can change.

Since natapos na yung bookings ko with the Fil-Am community in Southern California, it's now time for us to head to Northern California. Our first stop — San Jose. We'll be staying there for a couple of days before heading further north to the Bay Area for another round of meet and greet. Nakakatuwa lang, because ang daming nang-imbita sa akin to different States para makita ako. Para narin akong nag tour sa America, and the best part? Bayad mga appearances ko.

One of the Fil-Am guests from last night's party said that sulit yung pagbisita ko sa kanila kasi parang nakauwi narin sila uli sa Pilipinas — this pandemic made a lot of them skip traveling back to the Philippines because of health and safety concerns, not to mention yung sobrang tagal ng quarantine. One fan in Cerritos even shared his frustration na mauubos lang yung days of leave nila sa quarantine palang sa hotel. Nakaka-lungkot din minsan mga kwento nila, but I'm glad that somehow my presence takes away a little bit of the homesickness.

"Bye sir Jay! I'll see you again po in a month!", I waved at our very nice Fil-Am sponsor from the backseat of the SUV.

Manang MJ was placing our other luggages at the back, while Andre was already sitting in the driver's seat—prepared to drive us out of the city of stars.

The rest of team PH, with Mama J and my road manager here in North America, Miss Hydie, were in the other SUV, convoy pa rin sa amin.

Andre said he'd drive us along the Pacific Coast Highway for me to see the long stretch of the ocean - and para maka sight-seeing na rin and eat at some local restaurants facing the beach.

Mama J was thinking nga na mas better to ride a plane nalang going to San Jose from Los Angeles para mas mabilis, but we figured mas sulit to drive around 6-7 hours na may makikita kami na scenery and we can get to stop at an airbnb to rest and unwind pa. Kapag via air naman kasi mas magastos, saka magaantay din kami sa airport. It would also take us more or less five hours sa pag-aantay palang. So why not include leisure while we're waiting?

Sa totoo lang, medyo excited ako for this road trip. Yung tipong chill lang walang halong stress o hinahabol na oras.

"So, are we all ready? Ibyang, wala ka nang naiwanan?"

"Okay na manang MJ. Everything is with me already", my trusty pageant big sister acquired a habit of asking if I brought my things with me ever since she slept over in my room a couple of days ago. Para na siyang nanay ko na pinag sasabihan ako madalas ng reminders, like if dala ko ba yung phone ko, or yung wallet ko. But I figured, since medyo may pagka-burara rin naman ako, it's better for someone to at least remind me of my things bago pa ako magsisi.

MJ sat in the passenger seat beside Andre and closed her door.

"Alright! Let's hit the road then!", Andre looked at me from the rear view mirror and winked.