Chapter 45: Better days

"So, here's the situation. Maisha has invited us for an umrah together with her family and I think it has been high time we haven't gone and also a great initiative to eradicate the negative energy between the families but we are amidst the Nikah preparations so there's no time to leave any of this. What should I do? If I reject her offer she'll think I am holding onto some grudge or something" 

Zukroof was pacing around the room, thinking about the situation she just narrated to Yazan, Zohra and Yusra. She had gathered them around in the living room to have an emergency family meeting. 

"I think Mama Maisha will understand if you tell her we are preparing for the Nikah ceremony at the moment" Yusra commented. 

Zukroof's feet halted. She brought her hands to her lips as she pondered upon what Yusra suggested. "you think?" 

Zohra and Yazan exchanged knowing glances. Zohra wanted to go. Her soul needed that spiritual cleanse. It was the best time for her to go considering that most of her students at the studio had taken leave and were travelling for holidays. And she knew that Yusra already had everything planned and didn't need much help arranging but she couldn't bring herself to say anything thinking she might make Yusra feel she wasn't interested in her getting married.  

"So..." Yazan spoke, "according to what your mom had told me, I am not going to do anything" He leaned back on the sofa as Zohra and Yusra giggled, "because - her words not mine- that I do nothing but mess everything "  He shrugged at Zukroof who was shooting daggers at him with the way she was glaring. 

She rolled her eyes, "So, what are you suggesting exactly? You're not helping the situation here" 

"I am suggesting..." He got up and walked over to Zukroof and wrapped his arms around her. Her head touching his chest and his chin resting on her head. "That me and Zohra will go do the Umrah and you guys can manage everything. It's not like you two aren't already doing everything." 

Zohra eyes sparkled with interest at the opportunity.  "Yes and I haven't been much of a help either being busy with the studio. Yus and Mama have been handling everything alone and...." She looked at Yusra and Zukroof considering the suggestion, "you can invite Hafsa over for help too. She's all alone, she'd definitely want to be involved in her brother's Nikah considering that their parents are not going to be there. She is all the family he has, Yus" 

"Hmmm...." Yusra pondered. "Yeah I think they are right, Mama. We can go for an Umrah again after my nikah. Sohail and Hafsa would also like to come along then maybe" She shrugged. 

Zukroof nodded as she separated herself from Yazan's embrace. She looked up at Yazan, "Okay...you two can go" To which Yazan smiled in response. "For once, you have proved to be of some help" She giggled as she walked away. 

"Now, c'mon. am I that bad girls?" Yazan looked at Yusra and Zohra. 

"You are the best Bubzy in the world!" Zohra walked up to him and gave him a bear hug. 

"Yes, you are" Yusra chimed in and hugged him as well. 

Yazan placed his hands on both of them as he breathed relief. "I love you girls so much. Don't tell your mom this but she can be a little annoying but you two? You two can never bother me" He spoke in a hushed tone. 

"I can hear you!" Zukroof yelled from some corner of the house. 

Yusra and Zohra broke into fits of laughter. "Oops!" Yazan spoke before he made his way to where Zukroof was. 

Now that Yusra and Zohra were alone, Yusra took Zohra's hand in hers. "Zo...you know what this means right?" 

"I know!" Zohra whispered but was beaming in excitement.