Chapter 33: One soul, two bodies

"You know...you kinda remind me of myself except that you are much better," Yazan said smiling to himself as he looked at Adil sitting on the airplane seat beside him, looking a mixture of nervous and excited. 

"Me?"Adil raised his eyebrow as his lips curled inwards. "As in?"

"You might not know this story but many many years ago, just like you, I was on a plane with my best friend in search of Zukroof"

Adil smiled back in genuine curiosity. "I am guessing that worked given she's your wife now and the mother of your children"

Yazan shook his head in denial. "I know it seems like that but, nope, that didn't happen"

Adil's mouth formed a perfect 'o' in a complete state of shock, "What?"

Yazan nodded, "yep"

"But then, how did you both end up together?"

Yazan shrugged, "Destiny I guess...because it was something I could never imagine happening. Never in my wildest dreams, I thought we would meet by any chance and we weren't even in touch with each other on Facebook or anything so, I guess it was destiny that worked its way in bringing both of us together. My mom had come to attend a wedding in Bahrain all the way from Riyadh and met her mom and my mom already knew how I felt about Zukroof so she went ahead and asked for her hand in marriage. Now how I and Zukroof actually met, is a story for another time" Yazan smiled recollecting that first moment he met Zukroof as he rested his head on the backrest of the airplane seat. 

"Wait...what do you mean actually met? Didn't you two met at the wedding? Didn't your mom tell you she met her and you two met? something like that?"

"Nope. Both of us didn't know that our mothers met at the wedding and both of them planned out first meeting" Yazan grinned widely like he was 21 again. 

"Wow. That's....that's just like in the movies"

"I am not sure about that but I can tell you it felt more like all those years of my prayers were finally answered. The moment I saw her, talked to her, even though I knew it all along, at that moment, I knew for sure, that she was the one for me"

Adil considered him for a couple of moments before uttering the words he did, "You know...I don't know if you'd be okay to hear this but I have always felt that way about Zohra"

Yazan smiled as he nodded in understanding "I know. That's why I said you remind me of myself" He patted his shoulder. "But, here's the thing I don't understand why did you let her marry Zahir if you liked her this much? You both were like one soul and two bodies"

Adil shrugged, "What could I have possibly done? She was besotted by him" 

"I know that feeling.  When you are so much in love with one person and they have no idea about it" Yazan sighed

"You mean...."

"Yep. Yep. Yep," Yazan interrupted him. "I have been there"

And throughout their plane journey, Yazan narrated Adil his story and when they landed in London the next day, Adil could hear his heartbeat faster than its normal rate. 

"Do you think me and Zohra will end up together as you and khalti did?" 

"I hope so" Yazan assured.

***********************************

Zohra was unaware of Adil accompanying Yazan. If she was in her right mind, she didn't even think about him at all. Zohra was very excited to be finally seeing Yazan, so excited that she forgot to hide her scars and bruises away from her face and hands. She cleaned every room, ordered lunch as she waited for him to arrive at any given moment.