Chapter 29: Grieving alone

"I don't know what to tell you about what I learnt about life. There is not one lesson. There are many. And I know my experiences are different than yours but life has a way of getting to people and teaching its lessons and I am sure you are learning them on your own" Sohail spoke to Hafsa as they were sitting in the cafeteria nearby his office. 

"I am learning Bhai, I am indeed learning and you can see it yourself of how far I have come and I know I am ready to take this huge step. And I had to come to you before I could sit and talk to mom and dad because I know you can get me through them." Hafsa smiled acknowledging her brother's opinion. 

Sohail shook his head as he smiled.  "Never for once did I think of you as someone who'd take marriage seriously. Look at you! Ma sha Allah. And..." Sohail paused taking Hafsa into consideration. "Do you have any guy in your mind? Someone I can do background research on?" He gave his sheepish smile to Hafsa only causing her to smile and look away. 

She was hesitating to bring up about Adil to initiate the conversation when she wanted to talk to him about getting married. And now that he has straight-forwardly asked, her cheeks began to flush. 

"Well...there's a guy..." She trailed off carefully noticing Sohail's reaction. 

"Is he also interested in marrying you?" Sohail interrupted her as he took a sip of his coffee. 

"Yes...I mean no...I mean yes but also no..."

"Eh? what do you mean?" Sohail cocked his eyebrow in suspicion.

"Well...I told him that I liked him and I wanted to marry him. He appreciated my proposal and told me to give your number to him after I spoke to you meanwhile he is going to talk to his parents too" She breathed relief. 

Sohail didn't say anything for some time as he took his time to process this information. "Okay, so he didn't say you that he likes you too and would love to take it to the next level?"

"He didn't tell me that straight away but he didn't straight away reject me as well and that explains that maybe he likes me too and would consider something about our relationship" She shrugged nonchalantly. 

Sohail nodded as he moved back to rest on his chair. "I see" He looked around the cafe everybody going in and out minding their own business. His thoughts went to Yusra, she might have started her wedding preparations with Ali and now his younger sister is ready to settle down. What was he even doing with his life? He just ran his free hand over his face as he took his own time to sink at the moment. The smell of freshly brewed coffee invading his senses. "So, who's the gentleman?"

She took a sip of her own coffee as if the caffeine was somehow giving her the courage to speak to her brother. "Adil Ibrahim" 

"He's religious the same as you. I know him ever since I joined the martial arts coaching centre so he is also a witness of my transformation. And he's actually ready to accept me with my past. Not accept, I would actually phrase it as he looks beyond of what I was in my past. He is studying in Madina University and is currently here for summer break. That's what I know about him" As soon as she ended she took another sip of her coffee as he met her brother's inquisitive eyes.

"Why do I feel like I have heard that name before? Is he related to someone I know?" Sohail scrunched his eyebrows together trying to piece two and two. 

"Yeah he is a family friend of the Shaykh sisters"

"You mean Yusra and Zohra Shaykh right?"

"Duh," Hafsa rolled her eyes. 

"No way!" Sohail threw his hands up in the air. "No way!"

"Wait. What happened?" Hafsa asked, bewildered.