Chapter 11: The unfortunate turn of events

Who are you supposed to blame when something tragic happens? Whose help do you seek when you feel totally helpless? Whose shoulder do you search for in a crowd to cry your heart out?  To whom do you go running to each time anything good or bad happens? 

To her, the answer was - nowhere. 

Zukroof had been on the plane to her journey to Riyadh and ever since she took a seat near the window she couldn't help herself from letting her tears escape. She had not talked to anyone after her phone call with Nida except when she had to inform Zohra and Yusra about their grandmother's death. They quickly packed their bags and rushed to the airport.

She exhaled deeply as she wiped the traces of tears from her face. She kept thinking about Yazan. Thye both needed themselves at this point. When she realised there must have been something wrong with his mum. She called him back. She dialled many times but there was no response from his side. It was by afternoon the next day when she tried to call her sister in law, Nida to ask about him. And it was when the earth cracked open beneath her feet when she heard that her mother in law had passed who was more than a mother to her in every step of her life ever since she got married to Yazan. 

'I... I'm leaving for Riyadh as soon as possible' She managed to say not able to understand quite well on what she should be doing right that moment. 

'Um.. there's no need for you to come here because the funeral had to be done quickly and as soon as it was done Yazan took Dad with him to Bahrain...'

But Zukroof cut the call before she could hear Nida say about Yazan and she rushed to the airport with Zohra and Yusra. When Adil found them hurrying out of the hotel with their backpacks, he stopped Zohra and asked what had happened. 

'My Dadi has passed away, Adil. I have so much to tell you but now we are leaving for Riyadh'

'Okay, message me when you reach there safely' 

For a minute their gaze locked in understanding. Black ones met dark brown and a different form of empathy was shared. 

***********

'Ya Rabb make me amongst those who are pleased with your qadr' 

'Ya Rabb grant me sabr, taqwa and the strength to deal with anything in life'

'Ya Rabb grant me a righteous spouse' 

'Ya Rabb whoever she is, wherever she is, keep her in your protection and guide her to the straight path'

'Ya Rabb send her to me soon'  

Sohail got up from where he was sitting in the mosque after making his supplication. His parents were arriving today after having done with their business tours. Finally, they will have their family time together and perhaps his mum will be able to look after Hafsa for a while. 

Sometimes he felt as if he was the only Muslim in his family. 

Because of his parents, he had his priorities right about how will he be with his family and most importantly his wife. Children are parent's responsibility and Allah's blessings and he wished his parents understood that. If his parents would have understood the value of their company more than their money, Hafsa wouldn't have been the way she is. Anyway, at least he was fulfilling his duty as a brother. 

Busy in his own thoughts, he made his way towards the grocery store to get some fruits and vegetables. Working in a restaurant for a while had taught him some good cooking skills. 

********

'You told me you are going to tell me about your decision after you come back from Dubai' Ibrahim initiated the talk after Adil came back and was about to go to sleep without having any conversation with his parents about the ceremony. He was distracted by many thoughts running in his mind and he wanted some peace as for the moment.