𝐨𝐧𝐞

. ROXANNE .

november 5th, 1983
minneapolis, minnesota

°:. *₊ ° . ° .•

Frigid.

The unsettling winds and snow that November terribly graced upon my city made me uneasy. Weather such as this supplied me with a horrid series of flashbacks, consisting of mother and father's constant bickering during the holidays. Shrieking echos of their voices are forever embedded in my head, haunting me year round.

I wanted nothing more than to leave the place that I've been calling home for the past twenty two years but my life has been written out for me, woefully.

"C'mon Rox, just one time! I promise I'll leave you alone after this," my best friend of ten years wildly persuaded. Tasha has always been known to be an expert in coaxing but in my eyes, I'd label it as peer pressure.

"I've had enough of this," I frustratedly shook my head. "You're deranged if you think I'll ever set foot in a club."

"But your sister-"

"Is nothing like me," I emphasized, attempting to come off assertive. Unfortunately my reserved, soft voice made it seem as if I were being polite.

My sister, the one and only Ronni-Anne Powers.

She's as dazzling as a sparkler; a true force to be reckoned with. The twenty five year-old superstar is loved by many, if not all of Minneapolis. She began her singing career two winters ago and now, she's starting to make a name for herself.

Our relationship reminds me of a nicely crocheted basket weave sweater; tight-knit. I've always looked up to the high-spirited woman and as of recent, I admire her more than ever.

"Give the girl a break Tash," Frances, Tasha's cousin shooed as she steadily painted her fingernails. "She doesn't wanna go so let 'er be."

"You and I both know this girl is too busy being cooped up in these books," Tasha uttered, closing the textbook I once had open.

"Can you quit it already? Geez," I vocalized while frantically flipping back to the page I was on. "I need to get this done."

"That college shit is such a waste," I heard Tasha whisper underneath her breath. I decided to ignore her statement and continued writing until I reached completion.

Being a literature major was something that I longed for. My adoration for reading and writing stems from my grandmother, which is the one who inspired me to pursue my dream. However, all dreams can't be fulfilled.

I'm a business major, all thanks to my beloved mother who seems to have my life all figured out. I wouldn't dream of owning my own business but my mother seemingly has those dreams for me.

Mama, I just want to write.

"Are you mad at me?" Tasha questioned as I packed my belongings, earning a glare from me.

"Maybe, maybe not," I shrugged.

"Listen Roxanne," she huffed. "You're my best friend and I love you, truly." I rolled my eyes and she sucked her teeth aggressively. "Which is why I want you to relax and take a break from all this bookwork shit. You need to go out, live!"