𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

. ROXANNE .

november 27th, 1983
minneapolis, minnesota

°:. *₊ ° . ° .•

"You think you're slick," Tasha sucked her teeth while entering my bedroom. She plopped onto my bed and gave me a smug smirk.

"What are you talkin' about?" I asked before closing the novel I was reading. Saturday's were usually the days where I would binge read any books that I hadn't yet read. However, I had a strong feeling that something would intervene my plans.

"People talk Roxanne," she sassed before flicking my forehead. "And avoidin' me for a few days wasn't gonna help your case either."

"Ouch!" I covered the spot she flicked and rubbed it with the palm of my hand. "What was that for? I haven't been avoiding you."

"Yes you have. You and Prince hangin' out at First Ave," she confessed with sass. "You thought no one would find out?"

"We just drank some hot chocolate together, it's not that big of a deal."

"Oh but it is," she snarled. "People aren't sayin' good things about you either."

"I don't care what people say about me Tash, you should know that. Also, I don't know why you're so upset about me hangin' out with Prince in the first place."

"You know exactly why I'm upset," she emphasized before flicking my forehead again.

Tasha has had this fantasy of being with Prince ever since he became well-known. It wasn't a secret that every woman in Minneapolis had the same exact fantasy— well, all except me. I assumed that it would be a silly 'celebrity crush' ordeal but judging by the look on her face, I could tell it was much more than that.

"Okay I get it," I released a tired sigh. "I'm sorry for hangin' out with him but trust me when I tell you that I don't have any sort of feelings toward him. He's just a friend."

"I don't want you guys bein' friends either," she rolled her eyes. "You'll start to like him just like every other girl that talks to him."

"What you're not gonna do is tell me who I can and can't be friends with," I sarcastically giggled. I got out of bed and put on my winter boots and coat which caused her to raise a brow.

"And where do you think you're goin'?" she raised a brow.

"Out," I stated flatly. "I have a novel to read and I can't read it while I have you yappin' in my ear about a man I don't have feelings for."

But he is nice though...

"So you're just gonna leave me here? I came this way to see you."

"You came this way to bully me out of being someone's friend and no, you're leavin' too."

"But—"

"C'mon—"

"Roxanne," my mother opened my room door with little to no warning. "You're not goin' anywhere, I need you to house sit for me while I get these groceries."

I let out a tired huff before putting on a fake smile.

"Sure momma," I nodded.

"So that means we can hang out," Tasha nudged me while wigging her brows in an obnoxious manner.

"Whatever," I sighed before kicking off my boots and flopping back into my bed. "Do what you wanna do but I don't wanna hear a peep out of you, I'm tryin' to read this book."