𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

. ROXANNE .

january 10th, 1984
minneapolis, minnesota

°:. *₊ ° . ° .•

My forehead firmly planted against the casement window of Mark's living room as I watched the snowflakes dwindle downward in clusters. The faint sound of joyous giggling and laughter came from my sister and Mark, who were happily enjoying each other's company in the privacy of their room. A ghost of a smile etched at my lips while admiring the sheer thought of the happiness my sister built for herself, wishing that I'd be able to do the same in the near future.

I hadn't seen my mother since Christmas Eve and naturally, she had no way of contacting me or my sister. Although I would find myself precariously wondering what she'd been up to for the past two weeks, I knew that my separation from her was for the better. Those eyes of hers held a deep rooted hatred for Ronni-Anne and now, I could only imagine how ill they'd appear when gazing at me. However, I wasn't too worried about seeking my mother's approval nor was her opinion any of my concern.

"Ready?" Ronni questioned which forced my head off of the window. "Oh—you look smokin' girl."

"Thanks," I smirked while flattening out the dress she picked out for me. The straps were flimsy and the length was shorter than any dress I had ever worn but I felt as if it was necessary to look different. Ronni invited me to First Avenue and although the spring semester of school had just started, I wanted to live a little. Getting out of the house on a school night wasn't likely of me but ever since I removed myself from my mother's grasp, I felt as if I could freely think for myself. I grabbed my winter coat from the rack and covered myself with it before exiting the house and making our way over to the nightclub.

First Avenue was busier than usual. Cars were parked illegally on the sides of the establishment and the line leading into the club was longer than I had ever seen it. My anxiety began to set in as we exited the car and walked along the slightly snowed sidewalk. I wasn't anxious due to the volume of people that were in attendance, but because I'd see the man that I've been trying desperately to avoid.

The night he came over to Mark's place took me by surprise and ironically, I was stuck in the same awkward position I was in during Christmas day. He'd sneak occasional glances at me and even ushered a few smiles here and there but for the most part, he talked to Mark about upcoming projects and music. Before he left, he made sure to properly say goodbye to me but before I could respond, Ronni was there to respond for me.

We entered the nightclub through its back doors and once we approached the band's dressing room, my eyes immediately landed on Prince. His arms were tightly wrapped around Susan's waist and one of her hands cupped his cheek as the pair passionately kissed. A sinking feeling submerged my heart as I carried my gaze elsewhere, ultimately resting on Lisa, who looked to be in disgust.

"Can you two stop dry humping? Fuck, it's getting annoying," she boldly expressed before making eye contact with me. "See—Ronni's little sister is here, she doesn't need to be witnessin' all that."

"You're just jealous because you don't get any," Susan teased before looking over in my direction. "And hey, she's a grown ass woman. I'm sure she's seen and done more things than two people kissin'."

The intensity of Prince's eyes felt as if they were burning holes in the side of my face but I didn't dare to look at him. Instead, I focused my gaze on Susan, who was happily twirling one of her curls and chewing bubble gum. She issued me a smug grimace before returning her lips onto Prince's, whose eyes were still locked on mine. His gorgeous eyes were defined by sleek strokes of black liner, which made for a more intimidating stare.