Part IX

Location: America, California 2017

"How'd it go?" Rebecca asked that afternoon as they worked in the cafe together. It was a much appreciated slow afternoon.

"You think your Mum will give us tomorrow off? I want to spend a day at the beach, and it is Sunday tomorrow?" Lara asked as she wiped over the bench from where she'd spilt some milk.

"No, I might be able to convince her to give us the afternoon though. But don't dodge the question, La. Spill,"

"I dealt hands of poker and drunk Lemonade,"

"You didn't play?"

"No. It's much more fun to watch Jack lose every single round. The old man lost fifty bucks,"

"So you enjoyed yourself?"

"Yes, Becca. I enjoyed myself."

"Good cause I've bin worried. You don't exactly have friends and I keep worrying that you'll just disappear,"

"Trust me Becca, I'm fine," Lara said as she picked up the coffee for table 23.

"Okay," but her tone suggested she didn't believe Lara.

Rebecca dropped Lara at her uncle's place. The apartment was quiet, but no more so than usual. Yet, something though set Lara on edge.

'Don't be silly,' she scolded, as she moved to the window and looked up and down the block. In her peripheral vision Lara caught the light bounce off a small object in the apartment block opposite, two floors above her own. When she looked through there was nothing.

She drew the blinds anyway.