Chapter 1

Life is hard.

When it finally feels like you've won, you lose just to find out that you never actually won in the first place. Everyone's always trying to pull you down no matter how hard you try. You try to give people the best of you, you try to entertain them in many ways, but all they give back is humiliation and guilt. I always feel like I'm sinking down to nowhere, and no one is there to help me.

I looked around at my surroundings, trying to concentrate in reality, other than drifting away in thoughts.

I was in the attic trying to find my graduation certificate which I had somehow misplaced and had ended up in the attic. I had never been back in there after the last time I went there with my brother. It was a mess in there, and it was dark, so I had to take a torchlight. I went through the pile of papers in the corner and something caught my eye.

"CEO Kim puts second son as Vice CEO," I read the title of the old newspaper, as I read the next newspaper.

"CEO Kim killed in sleep: Police in search of culprit"
"CEO Kim son promoted from Vice CEO to CEO"

I felt anger rise up in my veins. I sat down on the dusty floor, as I held the papers in my hands. I know it was in the past, and I know it was necessary. But did I really need to do that? I read the next paper,

"Innocent workers killed after CEO Kim's death: Are the situations related"

I felt a different feeling as I stood up, placed the papers back, and went to the shelf in search of my certificate. But my thoughts didn't leave me.

Why don't I feel successful even after doing what I wanted, what I promised? Why can't I stay in the same path I promised to stay in? Why do I feel like I'm wrong?

I looked in the dusty shelves and found a file folder. Inside were my middle school papers, high school graduation picture, and finally, my university graduation certificate.

I kissed it. "Why did you have to run all the way here? You don't know how many times I turned the house upside-down looking for you!" I told the certificate as I placed it inside the folder and climbed down from the attic.

I went to my room, cleaned the dust on top of the folder, and neatly placed the certificate inside my bag. "You are never getting out of this bag for the rest of your life."

I then took out the high school graduation picture. Those were good times. Kids were always trying to get out of class, partying hard, and not finding a place to stay, because they live far away.

My best friends always came to my house because I was always home, studying like a nerd. But honestly, I only studied at times when we had tests. Sometimes I even had to wake up in the middle of the night for them. My brother was always out with his friends like he's now.

I laughed at those memories. Those were the times when you don't realize what's ahead of you. You only think of the present and what we'll do now. You expect everything to be right, because you always watch movies with your classmates and the movies always have a happy ending.

But life is not a movie, and it might not always have a 'happy' ending. Life's a roller coaster, where the daredevils scream in joy as the scaredy cats cry in fear. We have different roles, and I'm not really sure what I picked is really what I want. But I already did it, and I don't think I can change. My brother always said that I would ace whatever I do, and I did it. I believed in him so much that time, and he never let me down.

My brother is the only family I ever had. My parents were killed when I was small, and my brother raised me to who I am now. He made me self-confident, and self-protected. That is the only reason I am so independent right now. I don't need anyone behind my back the whole time, because I can defend myself. In fact, when it comes to getting scared by fear, my brother will rip the list and go before #1. He is really scared of horror movies, ghosts, dark, nighttime, high places, and snakes. He really hates roller coasters too. I sometimes can't believe that we grew up under the same roof. And to make matters worse, he raised me up too. Weird, I know, but I love him anyway.

I went up to his room to see if he had any chocolate stash, because as usual, I was craving something sweet. His room was clean as always. How does he manage to do that? My room has been messy since we moved. I'm just too lazy to do anything. I looked under his bed, in his wardrobe and the shelves.

"I just know he has his portion of the chocolates," I said to myself.

My brother and I both go shopping once a week, since I used to have classes most of the time. That one day, we bring literally a tower of stuff. He keeps his part of the food for the whole week, while I on the other hand eat it all up.

Again, it makes me wonder how we even are siblings.

I was coming downstairs, when I heard a knock on the door. I ran to the front door, and swung it open because it could be none other than my full-of-hope-brother.

"Y/N, give me a hug, sister!" He said with open arms. I rolled my eyes as I felt his warmth in my body.

"You came early. I thought you'd take your time with your friends like other days," I said still buried inside his body.

"I missed you, Y/N."

"I know that's a lie."

"Okay, so maybe I did come because we have some work to do. Our teacher called for an emergency meeting, but I also came early because I love you," He explained as he pulled away.

"I love you too...

...Hoseok Oppa." I smiled as I went inside the house to get ready for the what-so-ever 'emergency meeting'. I had a bad feeling about it, but when seonsaengnim calls, you gotta be there in time.

Author's note:

I hope it was good so far. If you have any corrections or opinions, please let me know. I'll be happy to hear your comments, or solve any problem. 

[ Also, check out my other book at amazon:

The Secret Legend: An Adventure to Mythicia
By: Pragjyotika Tanvi Sarmah
Available on Amazon.com and Amazon.in at paperback and Kindle edition. 

Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Legend-Adventure-Mythicia-Adventures/dp/B096TRXNMY/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1635839510&sr=8-1 ]

Keep your eyes peeled for chapter 2.
See you guys next Tuesday!! Wonder what will happen...