iii. late night strolls

chapter three
late night strolls

     BLUE EYES WIDE open, staring blankly at the painted stars on her ceiling. The clock read 1:03 am, but her senses are wide awake, like it has no plans on making her sleep. Her head is filled with loud thoughts, loud enough for someone to hear. Muffled gibberish whispers from the back of her head, and the place she was in earlier lingered around her mind, making it even harder to sleep.

     She sat up and looked around the dimmed room, an idea popped in her head when she saw the window so she got up from bed and walked to her drawer, kneeling as she slid the lowest drawer open to reveal several collections of cassettes. Her fingers ran through the set of it, reading the names written on, looking for something that could fit her mood.

     "A-ha!" a whisper came out of her mouth when she saw it, a small smile appearing on her face as she took it. She examined the tape, and nodded when she finally got the right one.

     Raven stood up and walked back to her bed, she grabbed her walkman — Robin gifted her for Christmas — and ran her fingers through the buttons, she pressed one and the cassette slot opened. She let her headphones rest on her shoulder as she swapped the current tape inside it with the one she was holding, closing it and clipping it on the garter of her sweatpants. Raven put on her jacket and converse shoes, and walked to the window, opening it wide enough for her to fit.

     She climbed out of the window, jumping from the two story house and landing perfectly fine on her feet. Pressing another button on her walkman as she walked from the side of her house to the front lawn, the song Hard Times by Baby Huey played on her ears.

     Cold, cold eyes upon me they stare
     People all around me and they're all in fear
     They don't seem to want me but they
     won't admit
     I must be some kind of creature up here 
     having fits

   She looked up at the cloudy sky as she walked down the empty road. Orange light and the pale brightness of the moon lit up the street, making the way visible for the girl. The sky reminded her of what she had seen earlier, and that's when questions started running around her head.

     What could that thing in the sky be? It's just a dream, right? A flashback thingy? But that thing wasn't there last time, maybe it is real? Loads of questions was made, but nothing can seem to answer it. Then there was this whisper, weak and unheard, so she didn't give it a mind.

     From my party house,
     I'm afraid to come outside
     Although I'm filled with love I'm afraid    
     they'll hurt my pride
     So I play the part I feel they want of me
     And I pull the shades so I won't see them  
     seein' me

    Why was it looking at me? Why is it there? How the hell can I see those things? The whispers from the back of her head grew louder the longer she thought of that place.

     Havin' hard times
     In this crazy town

     It became louder.

     Havin' hard times
     In this crazy town

     And louder.

     Havin' hard times
     In this crazy town

     And louder.