III; x. here

A/N: I left a pretty lengthy note at the end of this chapter and it's an important one that you wouldn't want to miss.

————————————————————————

chapter ten
here

     IT IS BELIEVED in color psychology that the color green can induce the feeling of peace, security, refreshment, and abundance. It is a color that's usually connected with nature — perhaps it is also the reason why being on a nature trip feels like taking a big bag of pressure off shoulders.

     While it is known to reduce stress and anxiety, it felt quite the opposite for Raven.

     The sight of green leaves thriving amongst the branches of trees they passed by raised this tension within Raven's mind. Maybe through unproblematic states, she'd find a drive by the tree filled highway of Hawkins enjoyable. It used to be, last summer or two summers before that.

     These woods used to give her a fun impression. It used to feel like a mystery waiting to be explored and uncovered — an adventure worth taking. Now it was nothing but a reminder; a recollection of the scars drawn all over her body, heart, and mind.

     Her thoughts had cleared away when she felt the vehicle halt. They parked at the bottom of a small hill. Trees scattered around that provided shade amongst the grounds. Not far from them was a tree line that felt like it was observing their every movement.

     The place looked familiar to Raven, but couldn't pin point to where they were. She scanned the place with her eyes, seeing erected stones not far from them and up the top of the hill. Raven then remembered, the place where Max wished Steve to bring her.

     "Do you mind?" Raven jumped a little, turning from the window to the seat beside her. Her eyes were then met with Max's, quick to look away.

     "I . . . uh, yeah." Raven unbuckled her seatbelt and rushed out of the door. She held it open for Max, barely even fixing the crease on her shirt and her jacket that hung askew.

     Max stepped out of the vehicle and fiddled with the brown envelope she held. Raven watched as Max stared upon the parchment, looking as though she was lost in thoughts. She wanted to talk to Max, but something was holding her back, a feeling that kept biting on her tongue.

     Max took a deep breath and started on walking towards the top of the hill. Raven bit on her cheeks, her knees started to bounce as she weighed the decision she's about to make. She thought that there are other chances to talk to Max, she wanted to believe that but she also couldn't take any chances. So she followed after.

     "Max," she called. The said girl carried on walking, like she couldn't hear her name being said. "Max, can we talk for a moment? Please?" Raven persisted, calling her over and over until she reached Max. "Max, please."

     "Can't it wait?"

     "No, it can't. So, please? A moment?" She felt relief when Max stopped and faced her. The girl looked to her eyes, something that's rarely been done these days. Though the puffiness and redness of it, this very eyes brought this warmth within Raven's chest. It was this effect Max had on her. She thought it would have faded by now, yet here she is feeling it again.