Chapter 1: The Crew

What am I even doing here? I should be at home, drinking a cup...scratch that, a bottle of whisky, and watching my show. But nooooo~ They just had to call me in late tonight for another case. I swear...I hate my job sometimes.

The voice of a fellow officer brings me back to moment where I stand. It's dark outside, clear skies, the sidewalk of a neighborhood well known for it's constant crime. The outer brick walls of homes and apartments are lit up by red and blue lights from five police cruisers. Crime scene tape wraps around a small area of the sidewalk, a black tarp hiding a body underneath. I duck under the tape and kneel beside the body, lifting up the tarp to see the victim. Female, blonde hair, possibly in her mid-twenties, bullet to the chest area, possibly punctured her lung.

"Detective Carter. Officer Wenzlo reporting.", I turn my head around to meet the gaze of him. Officer Wenzlo, served in the force for six years now. He gots a wife, a kid, and another on the way...he should take time off during the night to spend time with them.

"What do you have for me Wenzlo?"

"Well sir we caught the man. He was hiding out at a underground bar. Thanks to you as always, it was piece of cake."

"Yeah well this was also a waste of my time. The Captain should know only to call me when it's a major case. Not something like this...I'm better than this shit, I'm the best detective in this city!"

"If you need me to sir, I can report back to the Captain for ya."

"No, I'll do it. Besides...he said he has a "gift" for me...better not be another book about random shit I don't need to know."

I leave the scene in my 2015 silver challenger I parked just around the corner. When I ride through the city, I pass by shops and restaurants, their signs illuminating the sidewalks filled with pedestrians with the help of the street lights and other vehicles on the road. This city is full of small time crime, compared to my skills that is. I've put many behind bars and solved many cases. But one I'll never get to solve...is my own case. The death of my wife and son. It's something I don't want to think about to much. Don't want to lose my edge or lose my focus. I arrive at the police station which sits in the middle of two tall buildings. I pull around the back where we keep all our vehicles, always seeing a group of officers taking a break near the back door having a chat about what ever they have to say. They give me the usual "Hey" as I walk in, the whole department filled with officers at there desk's working hard, running back and forth. It's madness in here really, but I deal with it. I walk to the captains office, knocking on his door and opening it. The first thing I see when i enter...a some young chick sitting in a chair in front of the captain.

"Carter! It took you long enough to get back!"

"Not my fault you sent me to a useless crime scene worth my caliber! And who the hell is this chick? Your new secretary or something?"

"This "Young Lady"! Carter! Is your new partner!"

"WHOA WHOA WHOA!! Did you just say....partner? I must be hearing things, because last time I check, I work alone!"

"Deal with it Carter! She's starting out and I need a expert to teach her the ropes! Her name is Cassy Verno. She's twenty years old, just graduated from college, smart for her age, and I bet she will be better than you."

"Yeah, love ya too Cap.!"

The young women Cassy. When she stands up to me she seems around the height of 5'7 compared to my height of 5'10. She wear's a black raincoat which fits nicely around her slim figure--not to sound like a pervert in anyway. Her hair is cut short just below her ear, and to add, she's a red head. Her eyes are a bright blue color, and her facial structure and nice and round, freckles to finish it off. She must have been quite popular with the guys at her college.

"Detective Carter, I hope we can get along smoothly as partners.", she gives a bright smile at me as I just look straight at her face with no sign of a smile.

"Sure kid, sure. Your first lesson from me, stay out of my way."

As I leave the captains office and head back to my car, I open the door to see that she somehow got into the passenger seat without me noticing. She's quick and quiet...I hate quick and quiet.

"Uh...what the hell do you think your doing in my car?"

"I'm riding with you? You are my only ride to places annnnnnnd I need a ride home."

"Take the god damn bus! I ain't taking you home!"

It was like a breeze went by when I noticed she was right in my face, her hand pulling me towards her with some good strength. She had a smile on her face but I could feel the anger and intimidation in her.

"Your~ Going to take me home, and when we meet again tomorrow this never happened. Okay, Detective Carter Sir~?"

"...Tch, Fine I'll take you home. Now let go of my tie!"

"Heheh~ Thank you sir!"

Once she let go of my tie and got back to seat, I slid my way inside the car and closed the door, starting the cars engine. I drove us out of the departments parking lot, taking a back road I know very well.

"Your going to be annoying...."

"Well I would be less annoying if you just be more nicer and less moody."

"My mood is none of your concern! Now where do you live."

"88th Street, House 342."

"The rich neighborhood? Your parents must love you."

"They do, and because of them I was able to go to a great college!"

"Yeah well your in the real thing now...not some made up scenario in your little class."

"Please, I bet I can handle anything that's thrown our way."

It took us about fifteen minutes to make it to her home. Every house I looked at was big, has nicely kept lawns, expensive cars, and etc. Yeah this girl is rich. But why the hell work in the police force? I'll never know till I learn more about her. I watch her as she walks into her house, just to be sure she gets in safely...then again....this is a rich neighborhood so I wouldn't need to watch. Once she was out of my sight in her house I took my leave. Twenty-five minutes later, I arrive at my small little home. I live in a rough neighborhood full of gangs, drug dealers, thief's, you name it it's here. But everyone here knows me. They know me by name, face, etc. They know my job and position...and what happen to me. They all respect me and they'll do anything for me, even spill information. My home, yeah it's small, in some bad shape, but I make it work. I park my car in the drive way and lock the doors. I make my way inside my house and plop right into my recliner chair. A small table rest next to the chair, a pack of cigarettes and a glass bottle of whisky sit on top of it. I take a swig of the whisky before lighting a cigarette and going into my thoughts.

A look at the night...went to a useless crime scene...got yelled at by the Captain like always...got a girl thrown at me as a partner...She threaten me, bragged, yada yada....and the results...a shitty night...I'm going to sleep damn it!