Chapter 6: The Old Days Love

The sun is already blazing hot in the morning at around 10:23am. I'm sitting out in my car, waiting for Jennifer to get out of the god damn coffee shop. I swear she talks as much as Cassy does...but more positive. I decide to take the time to look at the house I saw last night on my phone, checking out the rooms and such with a 3D tour of it. It's nice, but I'm still on the fence on if I should buy it or not...and if I do...there's Cassy being right next door. I hear the passenger door slam shut and a cup of coffee being shoved right in my face. My eye twitches as I slowly turn my head towards Jennifer, a bright ass smile on her face...though...seeing her like that does...never mind. I take the coffee from her hand and take a small sip before sitting it in the cup holder.

"So...enjoy talking up a storm in there?"

"Well yeah, you know you learn a lot about others if you just take the time to listen."

"I don't have time for that kind of stuff, I have a job to do."

"I have a job as well Hank."

"DETECTIVE Carter..."

"Yeah what ever, but as I was saying, I have a job more harder than yours and I can always still make time. You just gotta slow it down you know?"

"I don't have time to slow down, I have things to do and I need to get them done as quickly as possible."

"And let me guess...move on to the next assignment...Hank....have you always been like this every since your wife and kid...you know..."

"Don't worry about it. This is my job and I'm a detective, so I'll do things my way like I want to."

"...I'm calling your station. I'm getting you the day off."

"What!? You can't do that!"

"I'm an FBI agent, I can do this, especially when I feel this will affect our work."

"Uuuugh, I knew I shouldn't have teamed up with you..."

Jennifer smiled at me while she dialed the stations number, "You know you love me, heh."

Love her? Please, like I would love a women with such a positive attitude...then again....I was married to one. After she called in and got me the day off, she had me drive us to the city's grave yard. It was a massive piece of land with over 3,000 headstones. My mother and father are buried here...but also my son and wife. We walk to their graves, kneeling down in front of them. I put my hand on the headstone to the left, the name Christopher K. Carter engraved into it. And the headstone to the right, my wife's grave, Catherine S. Carter engraved in it. Jennifer stares at the headstone and gently puts her hand on mine.

"Hank...I know you miss my sister...because I miss her too..."

"...I always try to avoid this place...even on her birthday...anniversary...and on my son's birthday..."