Chapter 8 - The Beginning

VEGAS POV

"What's this?" I stared at the glass Pete held out in front of me.

"Pappermint tea."

I inhaled the aroma of the drink. Smells like toothpaste brewed with hot water. "I don't like it. It smells too strong."

"Try it first. This drink is healthy and good for your health."

"I prefer a double shot of espresso in the morning."

"That's not healthy." Pete forced me to drink the tea.

"Then just give me some juice."

Pete shook his head. "Okay. Starting tomorrow I will make green juice, but today you drink this tea first."

I finally gave in. I'm tired of arguing with Pete. I took a sip of the peppermint tea. Quite delicious. Not what I imagined. But still, I don't like the minty scent which is too pungent.

"By the way what is green juice? I just heard about it." I asked curiously.

"Juice from a mixture of spinach, celery, cucumber with honey and lemon."

"Then starting tomorrow just make me this tea." I said as I handed Pete the empty tea cup again.

"Why? You said you prefer juice?"

I shook my head. "I've changed my mind. I think this mint tea looks better than your green juice recipe."

"Okay." Pete took the empty glass from my hand.

∞ ∞ ∞

"I'm not going to eat this." I pushed the plate of vegetables away from me.

"It's a vegetable. Good for your health."

I shook my head. "I will never like vegetables." I answered stubbornly.

Pete took the plate of vegetables. "Okay then. I'll exchange your dinner on one condition."

"What's that?"

"You can't go to the club for a month."

I rolled my eyes. "How could that be. Why are you now controlling my life?" I protest.

"Didn't we agree that you would follow my therapy?"

Damn. I suddenly remembered my promise. Why did I have to make that ridiculous promise with him.

"Okay. Give me the vegetables. I'll eat them."

Pete smiled with satisfaction. He put the plate back on the table.

"Please eat sir. I'll wait outside. Just shout my name when you're done eating."

I nodded lazily.

"What else?" I asked as Pete turned around.

"Don't forget to finish the food. It's not good to waste food. Hehehe." he said and disappeared from behind the door.

I smiled a little and started to eat the food that was served on the table.

∞ ∞ ∞

"Pete! Pete! Pete!" I shouted Pete's name. Suddenly, the power went out while I was reading a book on the sofa.

"Sir. I am here." Pete came over to me with a flashlight in his hand.

"What's this? Why did the electricity go out so often since yesterday?" I grumbled.

"Earlier, Uncle Tul told the guards that there would be electrical repairs at the house."I sighed in annoyance. "But it doesn't have to be at night either!"

"Calm down sir. I'm here."

Fifteen minutes passed and the electricity didn't come on. Pete and I had been sitting side by side in silence. Busy with our cell phones.

"Pete."

"Yes."

"You know why I hate the dark so much?"

I saw him shake his head.

"At that time, I was seven years old, when the electricity went out, I found my mother lying on the floor unconscious and covered in blood. She committed suicide. I immediately screamed, crying so hard. I passed out and when I woke up, I was in the hospital and my father told me that my mother was gone. She died. Since then, I have been traumatized. I am very afraid when i'm alone. Afraid of the dark. I'm almost going crazy. My father took me to a psychiatrist. Finally, after a while, I recovered. I'm not afraid to be alone anymore, but I still don't dare to be alone in the dark."

Pete was still silent.

"Pete."

"Yes."

"I hope you'll never forget that I'm afraid of the dark. Promise me. Whenever the power goes out or I'm stuck in the dark, you always remember to save me."

Pete nodded. "I promise."

"Pete. Can I borrow your thigh? I'm so sleepy. I want to sleep."

Pete nodded again. He grabbed the sofa cushion and laid it on his thigh. I changed my position to lie on the sofa and laid my head on Pete's lap. I felt Pete stroke my head gently until I drifted off to sleep.