Chapter 4: Face?

In the dark alley illuminated only by moonlight, the evil yao's peculiar appearance appeared even more terrifying. Zhang Ke spat out two wads of blood in succession and glanced at the slender-limbed Fu Li standing in front of him. A wave of despair rose in his heart. Never had he thought that he, an outstanding disciple of the magnificent Qingxiao Sect, would perish in this derelict alley and even have his heart dug out by an evil yao.

No wait. Hadn't he been blocking Fu Li? How had he appeared in front of him in a blink of an eye?

He still wanted to play hero at this time?

"Stop putting up a pretense. The blood you spat out can even fill a bowl, aren't you tired of standing?" Fu Li looked back at Zhang Ke and pointed at some stone steps. "Is sitting bad?"

Sit your ass. They were about to lose their lives and he still wanted him to sit?

Zhang Ke was nearly angered into spitting out yet another mouthful of blood. Did this little yaoguai know exactly what danger was? Just as he thought this, the evil yao's hands suddenly transformed into claws. The sharp claws attacked Fu Li's chest with a swiftness that left him with no chance to even let out a 'ah' sound.

The next second, he felt his body lifting off the ground as something hooked around his belt. By the time he regained his wits, he was already standing on the fence.

"The human rules here promote civilized behavior and good social practices. Making a move without a single word doesn't seem to align to the rules," Fu Li was carrying Zhang Ke as if he was a small chick. Zhang Ke looked down at the unstable fence beneath his feet, not daring to move recklessly. If the fence collapsed, he would be blamed for it after going back.

Forget it. It would be a miracle if he could still make it back to be blamed at this juncture. He wiped away the blood at the corner of his mouth with the back of his hand and took out a pile of talismans from his chest. He spoke to Fu Li, "Go call for help, I'll hold him off here."

Fu Li shot a glance at the talismans in Zhang Ke's hands. The humans had simplified their style of writing, but had talismans also been simplified? Why were they all not drawn to completion? There was only so much power that could be in those talismans.

It was no wonder that national advancement through science and technology was the catchword of the humans today. With the lazy attitude of the cultivation world towards even things like drawing talismans, they couldn't be relied on even if something major were to occur.

"I don't have any helpers," Fu Li flung Zhang Ke towards the area outside the fence and spoke to him as he towered above him. "You can call for help. I'll handle him here."

"Nobody's allowed to leave," The Zhuyan saw that these two humans were actually treating him as if he was invisible and advanced forward swiftly, aiming straight for Fu Li's mingmen. Seeing him rush over, Fu Li flipped off the fence and grabbed Zhang Ke. "Forget it, let's just escape together."

Zhang Ke had just opened his mouth upon hearing the word 'escape' when wind poured into it. He could feel himself hanging off Fu Li and the bounds and leaps that they were taking while he was lugged along. The speed at which they moved was so quick that he was on the verge of vomiting.

This Fu Li jumped so quickly, was his original form a rabbit?

Every time the evil yao caught up to them, Fu Li would coincidentally dodge the evil yao's attacks. Zhang Ke's originally panicked breathing morphed into silence afterwards. His ears were filled with the whistling sound of the wind while the crescent moon shone brightly above him. Zhang Ke had never before felt so unconcerned whether he lived or died.