Chapter ~ 1#

I don't know why they were displayed on my arm like a tattoo sleeve. I looked over my body, curious if there were any other markings that I would need to know about; and was unable to find visible ones; I'll need a mirror to check my back. Which soon reminded me that I was shirtless; on top of being lost in the woods. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of sick joke the heavens were playing on me. I would need to bonk the one responsible for this on their head when I see them with a metal bat. My attention soon changed when I noticed something off to the side. What looked like a sword and shield were leaned against a tree that had its roots raised out of the ground. As I looked at them a floating screen was apparent between the two identifying them. As simply {basic steel bastard sword} {basic wooden rounded shield} that a viking might carry. They seemed like normal weapons you would find at a museum; a simple rounded shield that was made of wood and held together by a metal frame along the edge. The sword looked like a one handed double edged sword with a wooden scabbard that had a dragon's head burn pattern in the side.

I looked around curiously who left these here. After all this just adds to the strangeness that I'm currently dealing with. If I didn't know any better I would say I'm stuck in one of those isekai light novels which shouldn't happen to an american like me. But in those types of stories you normally meet the god in question, or are given something that makes you op. I again look about it before I take the sword and shield. The shield was simple with only a wooden handle on the backside that sat in the middle and no arm strap. I took the sword and looped it around my shoulder thanks to the leather sling the scabbard had. The feeling of fresh clean leather against my skin was weird, not going to lie. I think mostly because it means these items were not left here overnight or anything like that. They were placed here recently by someone or... something.

With the gear set I began trying to make my way out of the forest. Or at least to a clearing where I could get my bearings. I guess all that shit my grandpa put me through is finally going to pay off. Once in a clearing I took the sword and used it to sharpen a stick I found on the forest floor. I stuck it into the ground and marked the shadow's end with a small rock. While I waited for the sun to tell me the direction it was traveling I got to work on trying to make a temporary shelter. I managed to make a simple lean too that was up against a fallen tree. Once I was done with the shelter I went to check on the stick I had placed in the ground. When I looked at the marker where the shadow of the stick was I saw the shadow had moved much like the shadow on a sundial.

And hoping this world's sun and earth operate on the same physics as my home then that means I figured out my east and west. As the old saying goes, 'the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.' Luckily the night wasn't cold; though I was getting hungry and didn't think about hunting during the walk. The next day early morning I made a plan of heading east down hill. The way the land was formed showed that I was in some heavily forest and mountainous region. So by logic there might be some settlements I can find at the base of some of these mountains. I began making my track down and through the trees. Have to say it was hard mostly because the sword and shield kept throwing my balance off. And with one arm stuck on keeping the shield I only had one hand to catch myself with if I tripped or fell.

I tried to keep a steady pace; luckily I managed to find a small stream that seemed to cut through the land. I followed it for a bit and soon found my first sign of civilization. A wooden framed bridge that seemed to have been built a few years ago. It still seemed to be holding a strong sense the wood while aged is still holding together. Seeing it made me incredibly happy; mostly because it incuredge my spirit to keep going. I ended up following the same direction I had originally planned heading east and downward. I managed to walk what I think was a few miles before I stopped and sat down on the side of the road. My stomach was aching; I hadn't eaten anything yesterday or today. And all I'd been doing was trying to cover the ground. As I sat there I leaned my head back; feeling the sun shine down on me as I thought.