Chapter 4

“The quote is interesting, but it doesn’t say much about your sister,” the officer told me. 

“Well I don’t know more about her. I’m sure you know her birthday and how she is called!” I raised my voice a little bit, even though I didn’t wanted to. 

“Don’t raise your voice. I know it’s difficult to deal with a family loss, but right now you need to help me.”

“You don’t know anything about family loss! I already told you the thing about her boyfriend… I just know .. or I rather assume that the boy liked to wear bandanas… She had a new one every week.. Always around her wrist or her hair.”

“Ella… I know a lot about family loss… My 5 year old son got killed last year. He got killed, because of a killing spree. And guess what? I’m a policemen, but I couldn’t do anything. So I like to help other families, who have lost someone. It’s my job, but I also do that, because of what happened. I feel a connection. And okay, I’m going to write it in the files… Maybe we’ll find the boy.”

“I’m sorry… It’s just so much.. We don’t even know how they got killed. I really want to know that.”

“You will. I’ll message you as fast as we can.”

“Thank you officer.”

“So I guess this is it… I got some information. I hope I’ll be able to do something with them. I’m going to take you home.” 

My mum spoke up. “Thank you officer. And sorry for my daughters behavior.” 

The officer chuckled a little bit. “They are teenagers, ma’am.”

We walked out of the room. Everywhere was black, kinda creepy. There wasn’t much light in the hallways. I guess the workers were already at home. Just some of them had night shift. 

“I’m going to take them home”, Nick told another officer.

“Okay. Take care.”

While we were driving down the streets my mum asked the officer something and I just looked out of the window. I really wanted to find out who killed my dad and sister. I hoped it won’t take so much time like every second crime. That would have really disappointed me, because I had hopes in Nick. He seemed really interested and I just had this feeling, which was telling me to believe him. Before we stepped out of the car my mum asked the officer the last question.

“Nick, when will we find out what really happened to them?”

“Well this crime is now in the first row. It should be done as fast as possible, because as I told you there was a really similar murder. So you’ll get the information probably tomorrow afternoon or the day after that.”

“Okay thank you and thank you for the ride.”

“No problem. Goodnight Ella and Joanna.”

“Night Nick.”

We went inside with Jerry. Everything felt so different. Without my dads laugh, without Melanies complaining about mums cooking. Suddenly I had an urge to cry or throw up. Or both. 

“Mum do you think they’ll find out who did it?”

“I don’t know honey. I hope. I have hopes in Nick. He seems like he knows what he’s doing.”

“I think the same, mum.” I thought about something else I could ask her. 

“Mum are we going to be able to see the bodies?”