Chapter 4 Ice cream

__Nina__

Today marked the beginning of summer break, and the graduation ceremony was finally behind us—a big milestone. It felt like a wholesome moment of transition.

Lying in bed, idly scrolling through my phone, I was startled by an unexpected call from an unknown number. hasitantly, I answered.

Unknown number: "Hey babygirl."

Me: "Ew, Ethan, is that you? How did you get this number?"

Ethan: "Nothing is impossible for me. I can get anything."

Me: "No, you can't get me."

Ethan: "But your heart belongs to me."

Me: "Luckily, it doesn't."

I quickly ended the call, my heart racing. Shortly after, Janice called.

Janice: "Hey, how you doing?"

Me: "Nothing much, just chilling. What about you?"

Janice: "Just getting ready."

Me: "Going somewhere?"

Janice: "Yeah! I was going to ask if you wanted to come?"

Me: "Of course! I'm just sitting here bored."

Janice: "It's going to be really fun! Jake will be there too."

Me: "Wait a minute, did he invite you so you could drag me around and not feel awkward?"

Janice: "What?"

Me: "Girl, I'm onto you."

Janice: "Well, it's not like that. We're all hanging out together, so it's a group thing."

Me: "Who else is going to be there?"

Janice: "A few of my friends and his."

Me: "Okay then, count me in, girl!"

Janice: "Yeah! Meet me here; we're heading to this fancy park."

Me: "Woo, sounds like the perfect summer's day."

After getting up, I got dressed and styled my hair in a French braid, opting for a short dress.

I ventured to where I suspected she might be, eventually locating her among the crowd. As I approached, my eyes fell upon Ethan.

She greeted me with a cheerful, "Hey, looking so pretty, yoo."

Returning her smile, I asked softly, "You mentioned some friends would be here. Where are they?"

"Well, it's just us," she replied casually.

Surprised, I pressed, "You didn't tell me Ethan would be here too."

"I thought you might not come if I did, so let's just forget it and hang out," she shrugged, brushing off my concern.

Caught off guard, I hesitated, but realizing I had no other plans, I agreed reluctantly. "But..."

Ignoring my protest, she moved on, leaving me no choice but to join them rather than spend the evening alone at home.