Chapter 7 | The Forest

The four of us walked to the kitchen. David and Ryan were chatting in the kitchen. David was meanwhile making sandwiches.
'We are here.' said Camilla, plopped down on a dining table chair.

"Where are the girls?" I asked.

"They went to the city with a few others." said David. Would the city be nice here? Once in a while I felt like going shopping or going out.

'I have two bake-off rolls for each. What do you want on it?' asked David.

'Sprinkles for me if I can.' said Camilla. Ryan grabbed a pack of sprinkles.

'And for you?' I sat down at Camilla's table.

"Do you happen to have ham?" I asked. Ryan looked in the fridge.

'Yes, gammon.' he said. Emily and Bryan wanted cheese.

''That's okay.' Ryan went on to make sandwiches.

I walked to the fridge and saw bottles with red contents.

"Is this juice?" I asked and I took out a bottle. It went quiet in the kitchen. Was it such a weird question?

"That's my beetjuice for my diet." said David.

"Can I try a sip?" I asked. Actually I was quite thirsty and wanted to open the bottle.

'Rather not.' said David, snatching the bottle from my hand.
"Well, you can just say that normally." I said irritated.

"What did you want to get?" he asked without going into what I just said. "Then I'll pour it for you." I sat down at the table again and looked at Camilla for a moment, but he was talking to Bryan.

"milk." I said. David put a plate with two ham sandwiches in front of me and he put the glass of milk next to it. 'Thank you.' I took a bite of my bread and it was tasty. I noticed I was very hungry. Camilla was now eating too. Ryan looked more lustfully at me than at his food. "Shouldn't you eat?" I asked David and Ryan.

"No, we've already eaten." said David.

"Well Ehm okay?." I said and took a bite of the bread. I enjoyed the food.

'Where are you actually from? Sora told me she picked you guys lost and injured from the forest.' Ryan asked. Before I could answer, Emily was ahead of me.

'We come from a village a little further from the city. We wanted to move here with the four of us to make a fresh start, but we got lost. Lucky Sora found us, or else Lily might not have made it.' said Emily.

'What are you actually doing here? and where are Sora and Dragos?' I asked. Ryan looked quickly at David. It was quiet for a while. "What's difficult about my question?" I asked more irritated now. I didn't like people going around and around my question.

"We guard the mansion during the day and get missions from Dragos." said David. "At night Sora and Dragos do that with a group of others." I nodded.

"So Sora, Dragos and the others sleep during the day to work at night?" I asked. David nodded. This sounded pretty logical. For a while I thought this was fine.

After I finished eating, I thanked Ryan and David for dinner. 'I'm going to the library. I need some rest.' I said to Camilla.

"Okay, girl." she said.

I walked to the library that sat opposite the kitchen. I pushed open the door and I entered a gigantic room. Heaps of bookshelves full of books. My mouth fell open. There was a bench in an alcove and from the window I could see the woods. It was beautiful. I walked to the first bookcase. I ran the fingers of my right hand over the spines of the book and read the titles.

"After the sunset." I read and I picked up the book. It was already an old book and the cover was old brown. The title was printed on the front and spine of the book in leafy gold letters. I took a seat on the couch and unfolded the book on the first page.

At one point I heard the library door open and Lea, Ryan and David entered. In fact, I needed no one around me for a while.

"Hey Lily, still reading?" asked Leah. I looked up from my book. There went my moment of rest.

'Yes delicious.' I said, closing my book. Leah looked at David for a moment.

"Um... Would you like to go to the woods with Lea, Ryan and me? We have a good hangout there.' asked David. Actually, I just wanted to get some fresh air.

'Yes, that's fine. Shouldn't we ask Camilla along?' I asked.

"No, he's busy." Ryan said and took my hand. I hated his touch.

"Let go of my hand!" I said. David tapped Ryan and Ryan let go of me. He really shouldn't be annoying.

We left the mansion and I followed David and Ryan. Leah walked behind me. I blinked for a moment. The sun shone brightly. It was so guessing around 1:00 PM.

We walked into the first part of the forest. I smelled the scent of the pine trees and fresh flowers. I enjoyed the outdoors. The weather was lovely. Lea hooked into my arm. I got distracted for a while because of that. We walked for fifteen minutes before Lea let go of me and ran forward.

'We are here.' said Leah.

We arrived at a wooden hut in an open field. There were beautiful flowers in the field. I walked over to it and ran my hand along it. They opened as soon as I touched them.

"They're beautiful aren't they?" Ryan asked as he came and stood next to me. Luckily he hadn't seen what my touch with the flowers did. I nodded. He wrapped his arms around my waist. I didn't like it at all.

'Do not touch me.' I said softly. Ryan looked at me searchingly.

"Ryan!" cried Leah. David looked around and Ryan walked over to Leah who was standing by the cabin. I stopped for a moment. "You need to take it easy, Ryan. If you do something to her, you know you'll get angry.' I heard Leah whisper.

"She's so beautiful, Lea. He'll probably find someone else then.' I heard Ryan whisper. Who were they talking about? Who did Lea mean by you know? I ignored them further.

'I'm going to walk a little further. I'll see you soon.' I said, turning around.

'I'm coming with you.' said David. I didn't want anyone with me.

"N-no, I'll be right back." I said softly and ran into the woods. What was I so afraid of? I shouldn't have behaved like that. Why did I react like that when someone touched me. I started to hyperventilate until I hit something hard. It turned black before my eyes.