Chapter 7

I wake up to a mind more confused and knotted than when I has gone to sleep.
When was that anyway? I don't remember getting into bed or deciding to sleep. In fact, for whatever reason I was on the floor.
Then it crushed me anew, the confusion that brought horrible dreams of the wolf's and my point of view when it changed, just before it lunged to rip out my throat.
I shivered and put my hand on my warm neck at the reminder of that nightmare.
Instead of freaking out like I should be doing, I feel numb. Is there something wrong with me? I don't really care. Which should worry me.
I am working out a plan to get out when I notice the camera.
It is in the farthest corner of the room, black and nearly undetectable. I try to move out of it's range, but it twists silently, it's big round eye following my movements. The only time that I have seen one of these is when I went into a little candy shop on the Fourth of July, and it was noisy, humming, and did not move.
The idea I am being watched makes the place ten times scarier.
I go into the bathroom, and find no cameras. Nevertheless, I cannot write down my plan, because I might not be able to see other cameras, so I may be constantly watched.
Therefore, all my planning is done inside my head.
-----------------------------------------
I am pretending to fall asleep, when the red light on the camera stops blinking. It must be around midnight.
I cautiously get up, and the lens doesn't follow my movement. After a silent victory dance, I grab the three bars that used to make up the lamp. I also take what food I have saved in several small Ziplock bags. I try to get a piece of wood from the bedpost, but only end up with a splinter.
This armed, I proceed to the window. I am on a ten-story building, and to jump would mean my death. But what is worse; going crazy or a certain, painful death? Thankfully, there is a fire escape I see that is about eleven feet down. If I can manage to open/break the window, I will have a clear shot, but I might break something.
After mentally debating, I think I'll just work on opening the window for now.
Years of confinement has taught me how to deal with locks, and with a hard hit, this lock opens up, broken. A screech erupts through the quiet woods this house is located in.
Any second now, they will find me. I grasp my fingers on the windowsill, and stretch my body out so there is less way to fall.
The ground seems very far away, but I'm sure Dogboy and his lackeys are getting closer by the second.
Sure enough, Dogboy and a few others burst through the door, and without a second thought, I let go.

I don't have time to scream, and when I land, I have a brief moment of pride for landing on my feet, although my heels hurt.
I take off down the fire escape, and jump the last few feet as male voices call from ten stories up.
Without hesitation, I hit the ground running. I run and run and run like there is no tomorrow. For a moment I think the incredible insanity of my plan fooled them, it would have fooled me too.
I reach the road that leads to my orphanage after about an hour of running. I stop to catch my desperately needed breath, but after a minute I tell myself that this is my fourth stop, that I must keep going.
I am a quarter of a mile from the orphanage when I reach the clearing, and although I know it is just what they expect me to do, I take a quick drink from the stream. For a while I walk through the stream to shake off my scent.
They will probably have search dogs. Hell, they are search dogs.
No sooner had the thought enter my mind that a growl emits from a nearby trees.
This time, I don't freeze, I take off running, and I climb a tree. No sooner than I disappear among the branches than two wolves, one blonde and one gray, reach the tree that I am camped up in. They speak in a series of barks, and the blonde one goes, probably to alert his pack.
I know how wolves act, and I must get out of here before the rest of the pack comes. The wolf underneath me shifts into a man in his early fourties. As he begins to climb the tree, I know he won't be able to catch me, I have a head start, and can get up on thinner branches. Still, I don't want to wait until the rest of the pack comes.
So I did what any person who belongs in a mental clinic would do. Jump from tree to tree. The man in his fourties growled, but I pulled back a branch, and when he approached me, the branch whipped back and he was knocked to the ground, out cold.
I continued to jump, not even hesitating, because they could probably hear me from a long way away, and if I could hear them, they had been hearing me for a while. I finally reached the city, and I was very relieved, because I didn't know if I was going in the right direction.
I walked in the direction of my orphanage, until I realized the doors would be locked. I searched the city, and the only buisness open was a restaurant/club, which I only reluctantly went into, and I promised myself that I wouldn't get drunk.
At the restaurant, I ordered fish and chips, a surprisingly delicious dish, unlike orphanage crap. A few guys looked at me strangely, and I was confused until I realized that they might find me attractive. I blushed to the roots of my hair, no one had ever looked at me like that.
From the on, I avoided boy's eyes, until girls the girls at their sides looked at me with jealousy, which made me even more uncomfortable and I pulled my the neck of my shirt up.
It soon became clear to me that I didn't belong, and after I paid, the bartender looked at me like I was crazy because I hadn't drunk alcohol. The thought made me loosen up a little and roll my eyes.
But I was stressed out once again when a guy started following me. I pretended not to notice, but what I couldn't ignore was the suggestive looks and death glares girls gave him.
Definitely a player.