Public Appearance

"Oh, no I don't have to go," Ariana insists, stopping in the middle of the hallway.

Pepper stops with her, "do you not want to?"

"Oh- no, no it's not that," she stammers. "It's just that I don't want to intrude."

"You can't intrude on something that was planned for you silly," she giggles.

"Oh," she weakly replies. Planned for me? Me? I'm the reason we're going out? But I didn't do anything. Is it for publicity? It has to be. Why else would they take me somewhere nice?

Walking into Ariana's room she opens the large walk-in closet. Ariana waits outside the door as Pepper shifts through her outfits, pulling out multiple outfits that she likes. Ariana sees that her closet is more full than it was previously. Is she imagining things? They hadn't gone shopping recently. There's no way that they would just go out and order more stuff for her. She sighs and drifts over to her vanity mirror. She's going to go through her jewellery because she has a few pairs of earrings, a few necklaces, and a bracelet. When she opens the drawer her eyes widen. Now she certainly didn't go and pick these out. She sees a little note placed on top of the box of rings.

"I hope we found you some things that you like. If there is something you want that we didn't get you just feel free to ask, we just wanted to surprise you with some more clothes and jewellery. We noticed you didn't get many formal outfits so we picked out a bunch of cute dresses. Don't worry though, we will go dress shopping and have a girl's day at the mall if there's a big event or party. -Wanda and Nat"

She can't believe that they spent more money on her. None of this makes sense. Why would they waste their money on her? Pepper walks out of her closet holding three dresses and three options with pants. "I'm not sure what you prefer so I brought some of both," she says glancing at her choices as if to make sure they were all still the same ones she brought out.

"Oh, thanks," Ariana quietly says, rubbing her hand on the back of her neck. Looking at the outfits Pepper prepared I can already cross three of the options out; the ones with short sleeves. With those out of the way, she's left with an asymmetrical dark blue dress, a forest green pantsuit, and a white shirt with a white blazer and black pants. She grabs the three clothing options in case she doesn't like the dress.

Slipping into her bathroom, Ariana puts on the silky dress making sure to not look at any of the mirrors. When the dress is on, Ariana turns to the long mirror hanging on the door. Her eyes widen as she sees her reflection. It is almost perfect. The only downfall of this dress is that it shows off one of her scars, the one she got below her left collarbone for ratting out her dad. The one she got before the police stormed into her house having to tear her dad off of her so he wouldn't kill her.

She takes in a shaky breath and closes her eyes. She can feel her eyes start to water and she tries to stop them. Opening her eyes again, she turns to the sink and opens the drawer with makeup in it. She takes out the makeup she needs for both her chest and her face.

Once the scar is covered and she is wearing a beautiful natural layer of makeup, she hesitantly walks out of the bathroom. Upon seeing Ariana, Pepper's jaw drops. "Oh my goodness! You look amazing!" she praises. Ariana lowers her head in embarrassment and walks over to put on a small black necklace, black earrings, and black high heels.

"Let's get going then shall we?" Pepper smiles, holding out her arm to Ariana. She takes it, not wanting to be rude, and they both walk to the main room. Ariana freezes at the door when she sees that there are more people. A rush of anxiety and regret sweep over her body.

Pepper notices her sudden stop and looks back at her. She can see the panic on her face. "Hey, it's okay Ari. You don't need to be worried," she assures her. Taking in a shaky breath as self-doubt and insecurity cloud her brain, she continues forward with Pepper. She can feel them watching her and she notices that her face is heating up. I probably look so stupid. They're all judging me. Maybe I should go back and change. I shouldn't have picked the dress. Can they see my scar? Did my makeup somehow get ruined?