Distraction

Ariana hasn't felt this way since she was with her last foster home.

Hunger. All the time.

Except this time, she isn't being starved. No matter how much she eats, she's hungry. Her stomach aches and her muscles and joints are constantly in pain. Ariana is constantly exhausted and fatigued. The vomiting hasn't stopped and her weight is still acting up. Living feels like hell.

It's nothing she's ever experienced before. She'd gladly take any beating over whatever the hell is going on right now.

What is wrong with her?

"Ari!" Peter grabs her attention, smiling like usual.

"Yeah?" Ariana can't help but smile back. It's nice to have people her age around. It's also nice to have a distraction from the agony she must endure.

"You ready to watch some awesomeness?"

She giggles, taking a step back. "Sure, just don't blow anything up. I don't think my dad would appreciate that," she teases, knowing Peter's irrational fear of her father.

"Pffft, I would never make something like that!" He scoffs as he readies his new invention. When Peter sees Ariana raise one of her brows, he blushes and corrects his statement, "I'd never make something like that and test it here..."

"That sounds more like it," Ariana smirks, rolling her eyes. This boy is just trouble waiting to happen.

"Okay, three... two..."

"What on Earth are you guys doing?" Tony interrupts Peter, walking into the lab. He's completely unaware that he has walked in at the most unpropitious moment. Peter panics and accidentally presses the button making the small contraption shoot out a bunch of glittery confetti all over Tony.

Peter watches in absolute horror as Mr. Stark gets glitter bombed. The pink and purple flakes stick onto his—undoubtedly expensive—suit. Ariana covers her mouth, trying to hold in her laughter as her father gives Peter the most unamused glare he can possibly muster.

"I-I'm so sorry, Mr. Stark! I was just—it was—I uh..." Peter scrambles to swipe all the glitter and confetti off of his idol, stumbling over apologies and excuses.

Tony sighs, "it's fine, kid. I was just coming to see if you guys wanted some lunch."

"And what the hell are you doing with a glitter bomb, anyway?"

Peter rubs his hand over the back of his neck as he spares a sheepish glance over to Ariana. "I was thinking that maybe... you know who could use it."

Amused, Tony asks, "who?"

Clearing his throat and glancing over at Ariana again he lowly mutters, "you know..."

"I'm afraid I don't," Tony frowns, enjoying seeing him get all skittish.

"Mr. Stark," he whines, not wanting anyone else to know about Spider-Man.

Relenting, Tony dramatically exclaims, "oh! Of course! How could I forget about Sp-"

"Spaaaarta," he interrupts loudly. Ariana quirks an eyebrow at him, wondering what the hell they're up to.

Tony chuckles under his breath. "Right, and why would Sparta need glitter bombs? This better not be another one of your pranks to get back at Clint."

Glaring at Tony, Peter says, "I don't know. I thought maybe it would be funny to glitter bomb the bad guys so they can think about what they've done."

"Right, because getting your ass kicked by Spi-Sparta isn't enough."