6. I Meet The Mother

Happy late birthday to Eden! I'm only, like, 10 days late. :)

I wrote this chapter in class so try not to roast it if it sucks, which it does.

"Hello, Eden."

The echoes of my steps stopped in the cold room. Amara's eyes were still closed, but there was a faint, yet sad smile on her face.

"I need to know." My voice was hardly a whisper. "Will I lose?"

She opened her eyes. Her eyes were as sad as her smile. "You know what caused the tragedies of the heroes of old? Knowing their fates. They took such steps to avoid it, they only ensured it. Knowing that, do you still wish to know?"

"What would you say?"

She hesitated. "There is a reason mortals are not freely given the Sight. To know your future is a terrible burden. There are fates that happen, fates you wish to prevent, but to save a life against the string of Fate will doom a thousand others. The universe will always correct itself. It runs on an algorithm, and you can cheat your way for a while, but in the end, should you prove a bug the system is unable to fix, the Immortals must deal with you themselves. Do you understand?"

"Someone will die." It wasn't a question. "You're trying to warn me from saving them."

"No. Not that. Never that.You can attempt to save them if you wish, but in the end... the Fates are cruel. They take from you things you cannot bear to lose, when you least expect it, when it will hurt you the most. The universe will always correct itself. That is simply the will of the Fates. Even the gods cannot tamper with it lest they destroy reality."

"Is it me?"

The question was whispered, but it echoed in my ears.

Amara didn't look at me. "The wheel of fortune is always spinning," she said at last, "sometimes spinning faster and sometimes spinning slower. I cannot see everything, Eden. The Fates will not allow it, in fear that, in my desperation, I will take destiny into my own hands."

Her words jolted my memory. "My destiny. I asked you about that days ago, before Olympus was closed to even you. You never finished."

Amara's eyes were sad, yet hopeful at the same time. She offered me a tiny smile. "Ten thousand years ago, a prophecy was made. Your destiny was written by the Fates."

"Ten thousand years ago?" My mind was whirling. "Why so long ago? What is it?"

She turned away. "I cannot tell you, Eden. I've already said too much. You must go, Eden. The gods cannot help you in this fight. In the end, there will be a decision. Nobody can make it but yourself. You will end this war, for better or for worse."

"But how am I supposed to figure it out if I don't know my destiny? Wouldn't it help?"

"Perhaps. Perhaps not. As I said, knowing too much of your fate can lead to despair, and the sealing of it. You will have made yourself miserable avoiding it and you will lose sight of what is important." Amara stood. "Go to Paris, Eden. I... I will speak with Athena. We must make a decision on the new..."

Her voice faltered. She looked like she was about to cry, which was startling to see.

"Amara? What's wrong?"

"I.. I must go."

Without even giving me a chance to speak, she had rushed out of the room, leaving me frowning after her, wondering what she had been threatening to cry over. Amara was the Oracle—I didn't know how long she had been it, but she must've seen a lot of suffering and death. Oracles were supposed to learn to be indifferent. But what was so distressing even she had looked upset?