21. This Is Why I Failed Physics

You really thought you got rid of me, huh?

But also, like, I'm so sorry I've been MIA for like over half a year. College and like everything has just been absolutely demolishing my entire creative side. I actually had to force myself to sit down and finish a chapter which I hadn't touched since my first month of starting college.

And, like, also, can I just say I absolute despise the next couple chapters? Like, absolutely despise?

I'm so sorry about that too. But at least the plot is thickening?

If I thought I had seen war before, I had been lying to myself.

This was war.

An entire section of the city had been leveled by the time Aether and I made it there. Hemera had rolled her eyes at our arrival, but her expression was tight.

"Nice of you to finally join, brother dear," she said.

Aether shrugged. "Apollo wanted some alone time, and really, even I felt bad for him."

Hemera flicked her hand just as Aether snapped his fingers—Light and Day, I realized, working together for the first time since the realms were created. Their power was so great that my mortal mind could hardly comprehend what I was seeing—the only way I could describe it was that light and day had somehow taken on a half-physical form and slammed into another wave of energy that both seemed like it was there and wasn't.

The residual energy from the two energies crashing into each other was almost unbearable. If it had been a little stronger, I would've been evaporated into dust, never to be seen again. As it was, I threw up a hand reflexively—a sapphire shield had barely woven itself into existence when the force slammed into it. Though the shield took the brunt of the blow, it still felt like someone had thrown an entire planet at me.

Hemera was frowning. "I forgot how powerful Aitna was."

Almost as if on cue, the entire section that had been leveled groaned once, the ground seemingly ripping, and the foundations completely collapsed. Aether grimaced.

"I hate fighting Ourea," he muttered, and then glanced at me. "Can you fix it?"

I gaped at him. "Can I... what?"

Hemera waved a hand, clearly doing some sort of magic somewhere else. "Fix it. The damage. Simple enough."

"You want me... to fix an entire section of a city?"

Aether nodded. "Your power is directly linked to Chaos—you should be able to. It's an easy enough task."

Their definition of easy and mine were completely different, I decided. But I couldn't complain that I couldn't do it. I doubted that the primordials would've wanted to hear that.

"How do I do it?" I settled for asking.

Aether suddenly looked confused. "Er... you just do it."

Hemera rolled her eyes. "What he's trying to say is that it is as easy as, say, moving your arm—if it is that simple for us, it should not be too complicated for you. Will it to happen, and have confidence in yourself."