A-Dale (pt. 4)

Allan stood in the woods, alone. To his right was the road, binding its way around a curve and then onto Nottingham, and to his left, more of the dense forest. No one was around. Nobody would know anything. When they found the body, they would think it was a murder at first. They'd be surprised that Robin would kill one of his men-even if that man had betrayed him in blind fear. But they would have doubts when they saw dagger still in Allan.

Perhaps, at first, they would believe that Robin was brutish enough the kill a man, any man, that way. And it wasn't as if Allan didn't believe Robin would stab a man and leave without removing the blade, it was just that soon enough they'd figure out nobody had stabbed and left him.  That the killer was already dead. 

And then-

Then what? Allan would be dead. They would all see him a coward, and he thought of the others. The ones who had written him off. Who thought that he couldn't change. That he wasn't sorry. And he was! Allan couldn't bear to be with himself any longer. It was agonizing.  Why couldn't he have stopped earlier? Why couldn't he had never shown up to the tavern to meet Gisborne? Why couldn't he had never gone there in the first place? Why couldn't he have changed?

Allan knew he could, he was, he...Well, he was one of Gisborne's little henchmen now, it wasn't like anybody thought he had. If anything, everyone believed he was an even bigger of a traitor. They thought he had gone on with his life, settling at the next place that fit him, that it never occur to him that he was being more and more of a traitor.  

But he wasn't. He tried so hard, he had. He wasn't a traitor. But the more Allan said it, the less he believed it. Nobody believed him, not even himself.

Allan took one more look at the dagger and threw it onto the leaf-covered ground. He had something to do. He had something to prove.