A-Dale (pt. 1)

Allan's day had been going okay, all things considered until he was suddenly yanked out of his sleep.

"Guy," he gasped, staring at the man who was now his master.

"You," Gisborne growled, "you have to earn your keep." He looked into Allan's petrified eyes before releasing him.

"Why-yeah, of course! I'm just waiting for something to do!" Allan protested. Gisborne turned and walked away and Allan followed him.

"Some farmers in Nettlestone have been found guilty of cheating on their taxes," Gisborne explained, "We need to make an example. You do."

Allan nearly stopped in his tracks, "You want me to do it?" Not even a month ago, Allan had been part of Robin Hood's gang of outlaws. Stealing the rich to give to the poor. All while betraying his friends.

For money (and to live in the beginning), Allan would give Guy of Gisborne bits and bobs of information about the gang. But Robin had snuffed him out and banished him. With nowhere else to go, Allan had fled to Gisborne for help, and now he worked for him. Allan hated it, but there was really nothing he could do.

"Of course, you fool!" Gisborne jutted him out of his thoughts, "I will be there, of course. To make sure you don't do anything funny."

So this is a test, then? Not surprisingly, Allan wasn't trusted the tiniest at Nottingham Castel. And this was his chance to prove that he was on Gisborne's and the Sheriff's side. Problem be: Allan didn't know if he really was on their side.

Yes. He told himself. Yes, you are. Robin would never take you back. This is your life now. Much as he hated it, it was his life. And Allan hated it, too.

"Okay," Allan said, trying to mask the enthusiasm he didn't have, "Guess I'll get the horses."

Gisborne gave him his slightly creepy, pleased smile.

Hope you're proud of yourself Allan. Hope you're really proud of yourself. A voice filled with poison told him.

As soon as the horses were ready, they left-along with half a dozen guards and a cart for prisoners.

"Look, I'm not trying anything funny," Allan started when he saw the cart, "but we aren't going to arrest anyone, are we?"

"You catch on quickly, Allan." Was the stiff reply.

Can I do this? As long as nobody recognized Allan or Robin's gang didn't show up, Allan thought we could live with himself.

As they neared Nettlestone, Allan began to drift to the back.

Can I afford to do this? Can I afford not to? Despite everything that happened, Allan couldn't help hope that Robin would take him back one day. If he didn't do too much, Allan supposed-though-that maybe...

Augh, grow up, Allan, It's over. It's over! None of them clearly want you back. Your lot is here now.

A commotion in the front saved Allan from his thoughts. He rode ahead and found Gisborne was confronting two bounded peasants.

Great, maybe he'll do it for me.

"Allan!" Gisborne cried, "C'mere!"

Nevermind, then.

One of the peasants looked up at Allan, eyes widening.

"He!" The man said, excitedly, pointing at Allan.

Oh, no.

"He! He is one of Robin Hood's men!"

No, please don't. Please.

"You're in big trouble now, Gisborne!"

"Allan!" Gisborne called him over. Eyes stilled lock on the peasants, Allan walked over to Gisborne.

"Kill him."

"What?!"

"You heard me: kill him. Now."

"But, Guy-"

"This is your chance to prove yourself, Allan. Do not fail me."

Sighing heavily, Allan walked over to the peasants.

"Are you undercover? A spy?" The man-not the one who spoke first, but the other one-whispered.

I wish.

"Sorry," Allan mumbled. He raised his sword-avoiding the peasants' eyes that were filled terror-and-an arrow shot Allan's sword, knocking it out of his hand. Another arrow shot-this time skinning Allan's cheek.

Just when I thought this couldn't get worse...

"Oi!" Robin's booming voice said, "Killing peasants now, are we?"

"Where are they? Where are they?" Gisborne sputtered with anger. The guards ran around uselessly, frantically trying to find the Outlaws. Suddenly, they all come out of what seemed to be nowhere.

Robin, Little John, Will, Much, and Djaq.

They took the guards easily, along with Gisborne.

"This," Little John came up to Allan, "is for England!" With that, he punched Allan, knocking him out.

It took Allan severely minutes to recover-as it seemed to others. Gisborne grabbed Allan by his shirt's collar and yanked him off the ground.

"Get them," he growled, "Now!" Giving a shaky nod, Allan got on his horse and called the guards.

"Get them!" He instructed. They rush off riding, and Allan followed.

This has got to be the worst thing ever. Allan thought grimily as he rode through Sherwood forest.

After an unsuccessful search to find Allan's former gang, they left.

Oh, Guy is going to kill me.

"You didn't find them, did you?" Gisborne asked when they entered Nottingham Castel.

"No," Allan got off his horse, "we tried to-"

"Trying isn't good enough!" Gisborne yelled, breaking him off, "This incompetence is unacceptable!"

"Look, I'm sorry-"

"Sorry doesn't kill Robin Hood!" Gisborne was about to slap Allan when a new voice broke in.

"What's going on here?" Both of the men turned to see Lady Marian (or Marian, as everyone called her for she hated otherwise) come down the stairs, looking quite threatening.

Gisborne gave an irritated sigh, "Marian, this doesn't concern you. Please-"

"What was the idea of you trying to kill someone on the spot?"

Rumors spread that quick? Allan didn't think much could surprise him, but that certainly did. What rumors? Allan's conscious unwelcomingly hissed at the back of his head. That ain't no rumor. You were going to do that, don't deny.

"We weren't really going to do it," Gisborne lied.

Yeah, right.

"We were just-ah-scaring them."

Marian stood there, hands on her hips, "Well, that better be the case because not even the powerful can escape justice."

"So, you think I'm powerful than?" Allan took it as a cue to leave and fled the scene.

He needed to be alone and at the same time, he didn't want to with only his thoughts. They were ready to pounce on him. Make him see the evils he had done. The evils he was doing. And the evils he would almost certainly do.

You're a bad man, Allan-a-Dale. Remember that: you will always be a bad man. Always! Terrible things he had done, and terrible things he would do. That was Allan-a-Dale's life. His family was never trusted. His father. His mother. His sisters. His brother. And now he. No good could come out of Allan-a-Dale. For Allan-a-Dale was a bad man.