Prologue

Allan-a-Dale rode through Sherwood, unable to get the scene he just witness out of his head: Robin punching Will, stripping him of his tag, and banishing him. It could've made sense. Will going crazy after his dad's death, not sure who to trust, getting caught by Gisborne, needing the money for his brother, and the chance to get close enough to kill the Sheriff. Robin must have thought that too, and Will must have given him a clue that he was true. Then Robin just put two and two. Yes, it all made sense.

If Allan hadn't been the traitor, to begin with.

No one would know. No one could know.

Let them think it's Will. Let them do that. But do no more. Allan told himself. Last time. Get the money. It's the last time. Shaking off his guilt, Allan rode as fast he could.

You're the bad guy. A bad guy. Letting the lad take your blame. A part of him said. You did what you needed to do. Gisborne would've killed you! Plus, what is going to happen to you when the king comes back? Another part defended him. It was true, though. What was going to happen to him when King Richard came back? The Sheriff and the Black Knights would be out of commission, that would be good. Robin would have everything, though.

He'll get everything. You'll get nothing. Nothing! You hear me? NOTHING. Robin was a good man, Allan knew this. But he didn't realize what would happen to them, to Allan, when this was all over.

That was his excuse. His excuse for being the bad guy A bad guy.